A Concussion Changed My Life

A Concussion Changed My Life

I never thought that a simple hit to the head would change my whole future.

338
A Concussion Changed My Life
Jenna Mae Nygaard

It was the prime of my senior year. I was free, optimistic and ignorant. I had my life planned out and a goal in mind. I had college applications sent out and I couldn't have been happier. I was a full-time college student in high school and enjoying the freedom, little did I know that everything was about to change.

One day, I was on my way home from getting a class picture. It was the first day of MEA break, which meant a five-day break for me! I had a fun night of junk food and movies planned with one of my friends and had the day to relax before that. For once, I was doing everything right. I was going the speed limit, my phone was on the passenger seat, and my seatbelt was secured. Embarrassingly enough, one stupid sneeze ruined it all. I'm an all out sneezer and went off the road a little bit, but with no shoulder, I overcorrected, went into the other lane and into the ditch, hit a sign, and rolled my car.

I had no idea what was going on. To this day, I'm not really sure what all went on. I was very fortunate for a bank that was pushed up from ice heaves to stop me from rolling into the lake. The rest of the day was a blur. I am told that all I wanted was nothing more than a note to say "I'm OK to play volleyball." I went to the ER, was checked out heavily, and released home.

Little did I know that this little concussion was going to be the hardest obstacle I have faced. I slept for almost a week straight. I was awake long enough to go to the bathroom or eat a little sandwich before falling back to sleep. Then the migraines started. Every day for the next three months was a constant migraine. I would have to run to the bathroom during classes because of the nausea that I had from the headaches. My decision-making skills had to be rebuilt. I had such an embarrassing stutter due to the part of my head that I hit. The worst was the memory loss. I couldn't even remember where my classes were or my name or even my address.

Never would I have expected the frustration that I experienced during the next four months. I struggled with the all of these issues while losing hope. I felt helpless and weak. Taking college exams while not even remembering how to get myself home was tough, as well as giving speeches with an awful stutter. It tested every bit of me and who I was.

But I did make it through. I worked my tail off to get what I needed done. I found out who I really was. It brought me back to the confidence that I should have always had. I learned that I am intelligent and not just good at school because of a good memory. I acquired patience that I never had before by taking things slow. I learned to believe in myself and be my own cheerleader. I learned that things happen for a reason.

My plan to go to Penn State was destroyed because of one brutal sneeze. I had to go to MSUM and eventually Bemidji State. I found myself in the perfect spot, though. I met awesome people and lifelong friends. I became a college hockey cheerleader and learned to do things that scared me. I realized that I was given an opportunity to continue living and I have to do it!

To this day, I still struggle with memory loss, neck problems and some simple brain functions, but I am alive. Concussions are no joke. They are a life-threatening and serious medical condition. I pushed myself too hard after the accident thinking it was no big deal, which made recovering longer. Please don't make the same mistake. I also advise you to openly tell your healthcare provider about symptoms. My biggest regret is not telling my doctor that I had no clue who I was or where I was.

It's crazy how quick things happen. Never would I have thought that I would have to experience all that I did. But, while I thought I lost myself, I really found who I really was and who I wanted to be. I am a fighter and a strong, stubborn young woman.