10 Reasons Why You Should Come To UW-Madison

You'll want to be a Badger too.

9917
John Hart- State Journal

As admissions decisions begin to roll out from different universities across the nation, it is important that high school seniors realize why UW-Madison should be their top choice. As Badgers, we have it all, both socially and academically. You cannot go wrong by deciding to spend your next four years in Madtown.

1. Academics

Although there are tons of reasons why you should come to UW-Madison, the real reason we’re all really here is for the school’s renowned academics. As one of the best public universities in the nation, all Badgers actually care about their schoolwork. Majors and courses seem infinite here; there is something for everyone.

2. It's a Word Hard, Play Hard Mentality

Hello…. it’s no secret that Princeton Review ranked us the #1 party school in 2016. Yes, as Badgers we definitely care about our schoolwork, but we are always having fun too. As soon as we put our textbooks away, we are finding ways to make our nights unforgettable. Whether we are partying on Langdon or at the bars, there is always something going on. Also, no school does game days like Wisconsin. Get ready to have the greatest day of your life decked out in cardinal and white.

3. School Spirit

One of the best parts of the University of Wisconsin is that we actually have something to cheer about. As Big Ten West Conference champions, this Badger Football season gave us a million reasons to Jump Around. Not only are we good at Football, but we also dominate in basketball and hockey. With back to back trips to the Final Four in 2014 and 2015, there is clearly a reason we have been in the NCAA March Madness tournament these past 17 seasons. As we get ready to watch the Cotton Bowl this year, Badgers fans count down the days to another victorious season in 2017.

4. State Street

State Street is the only place where it could be 3 in the morning on a Thursday, but still be as crowded as if it were daytime. If you have never been to Madison, the cool vibe of State Street is indescribable. With an immense range of restaurants and shops, State Street is the cultural epicenter of UW-Madison. It connects Bascom Hill to the Capitol building and is constantly filled with students and Madison residents.

5. The Lake

Here in Madison, it is practically a Staycation. The campus is surrounded by two beautiful lakes, Monona and Mendota, which makes this campus incomparable to any other ones in the Big 10. The Memorial Union Terrace is the best place to study with a great view or to just sit with friends and enjoy some great food on our famous Terrace chairs. I’m sorry, but at what other school in the Midwest can you easily spend your early fall mornings water skiing or kayaking?

6. The Food

It is impossible to talk about the University of Wisconsin without talking about food. “America’s Dairyland” lives up to its expectations with undoubtedly the best ice cream and cheese you’ve ever eaten. Whether you are stuffing your face with cheese curds or our famous mac and cheese pizza, I can promise that once you eat here you’ll be sold forever. Late night eats at Ian’s Pizza, Pizza di Roma, Leia’s Lunchbox, Insomnia Cookies, Toppers, or Chocolate Shoppe Ice Cream are just a few of the amazing places to end your wild night out in Madtown. Remember just about everything here can be fried, but do not worry there are still plenty of healthy options.

7. Endless Workout Options

Did number 6 scare you? Are you afraid of gaining the freshman fifteen? Well, if you are motivated enough to go, there are plenty of workout facilities around campus. If walking up Bascom Hill to class is not enough for you, try working out at one of the many gyms that UW-Madison offers on campus or run on the beautiful Lakeshore Path. Additionally, Badgers rave about their experiences at Cyc Fitness, Dragonfly Hot Yoga, Kamps Fitness, and Inner Fire Yoga. There are so many ways to stay in shape here that you can easily find the one that's the best fit for you in order to burn off all those cheese curds.

8. It's a Campus AND a City School

When touring colleges, it’s easy to notice the extreme differences between campus and city schools. While both options definitely have their perks, UW-Madison manages to have the best of both worlds by having the perks of both. The campus itself is as green as could be, as the Lakeshore section of campus can make you feel like you are anywhere but a city. However, once you hit the end of Bascom Hill, you are instantly in an urban environment. So, instead of stressing about whether you want to attend college in a city or on a campus, pick both.

9. You Could Never Get Bored Here

There is so much to do here, after all, our school is located in the capital of Wisconsin. There are so many different ways you can spend your free time; such as watching the Badgers win at Camp Randall Stadium, pedaling down State Street on the trolley pub, enjoying some of Madison’s museums, enjoying Madison’s lakes, or even listening to your favorite artist at a concert. Jesse McCartney’s even coming to the Wisconsin Union this winter. Who knows you may even see some of your other favorite celebrities around campus…

10. The People

With over 43,000 students, you will find your people here at UW-Madison. You will make best friends here that you know you can count on for the rest of your life. Everyone here is happy to be here and wants to make their college experience the greatest four years of their lives. Our diverse yet united community makes UW-Madison a place that we are proud to call home.

So, whether UW-Madison has been your dream school since birth or if you’re partially considering coming here next fall, realize that the University of Wisconsin truly has it all. There are so many reasons why this place is so special, so come here and experience it yourself. On, Wisconsin!