I Went Back To The College I Transferred Out Of And I'm Glad I Left

Transferring sucks, it really does but if it's in your best interest, then do it.

232
Eastern Michigan University

When making the initial decision of which college you are going to as a Junior/Senior in high school is very hard. It's even harder when you get a late start to the application process and the touring of the colleges you are interested in. That was me.

While all of my friends were touring colleges on weekends or were applying to colleges, I was just very confused and unsure of where I wanted to go in the first place. I knew exactly what I wanted to major in for my entire high school career, but I felt that I lacked the guidance I needed to decide which college I was best fit for.

Fall of my senior year in high school I toured one college that was pretty far from my home, but seemed like a good campus. I ended up getting in and attending said college for about a year and a half, all the while I felt completely out of place in this school I was supposed to be calling my home for the next four years of my life.

Making the decision to transfer out of the college you had originally committed to seems even harder than generally applying for college as a 17 year old. Now being almost 20 years old, in the middle of my college career I had to decide if I wanted to transfer out of said college and move somewhere else. Mind you, I was a part of an organization, I had already paid rent for the year on my current living space, had a down payment on my apartment for the year after, and didn't really want to lose out on the credits I had already received prior.

But for me, it was either the choice of: a) moving back home to figure out where I want to transfer to OR b) stay at a college I was miserable at, and if I stayed would have probably ended my life. Yes, it was that bad. So, I chose to move back home and transfer the following fall semester to a college about 40 minutes from my house. Now, this wasn't the ideal plan for me either and I still don't feel completely confident in my decision, but I know that this is better for me.

After leaving my first college I had to go back a few more times: to move my things out, to visit people I needed to say goodbye to and to simply just visit the neighboring city that I fell in love with while there. Each time seemed to make me happy, sad, angry and confused. This past time though, it really took the cake for me.

I still think of my old college and I miss it, the idea of it and how I wish things would have been different. But after visiting this time, I have come to realize that I am so grateful for making the decision to leave when I had the chance or I don't know where I would be right now.

I realized that I, of all people, chose one of the most seemingly close minded schools in the state of Michigan. The culture was lacking, the community just wasn't there, it was very poorly structured in terms of the education buildings. Mostly, I realized that this school harbors the most disgusting, rude, stuck up, money grabbing, privileged group of people I have ever met in my entire life.

Don't get me wrong, if you are reading this and know which college I used to attend, please don't assume I am talking about you. There are more than 25,000 people that attend that school, and chances are I'm not talking about you. Especially if you are reading this right now, and do attend said college. I wouldn't be friends with you if I saw you as that.

After attending a large scale event that was seemingly supposed to be fun, I started realizing that I had been blindsided this entire time. I couldn't figure out why I was so miserable, so lost and so confused as to why I couldn't connect with hardly anyone at this college. But, after this trip I realize it now.

Just because I transferred out of this college doesn't mean it still isn't great for a lot of other people, it just wasn't for me as much as I had hoped. College is supposed to be the best time of your life and for me, being there, it just wasn't. It felt like I was living a nightmare, another life that I was stuck in.

Advice for those scared of transferring: If your gut is telling you something is wrong, chances are that it is right. Go with your first instinct and worry about the kinks needing to be straightened out later. Don't hold yourself back from being truly happy.

So, there you go. I hope that this has helped you and others around you realize that even if they feel stuck that they are not alone. Believe me, I am still getting used to feeling at home with my new college, but I guess that's all a part of the experience.