College as Told by the Movie 'A Christmas Story'

This classic Christmas film from 1983 can be pretty relatable when it comes to college life.

221
Torrent Butler

The movie A Christmas Story is quite possibly my absolute favorite Christmas movie. My family and I are absolutely obsessed with the movie, and we can basically quote it from beginning to end because we've watched it so much. We always watch it on Christmas Eve when the 24 hour marathon of A Christmas Story starts. Our obsession has even gone as far as my dad joking about getting a leg lamp for our window.

The movie has some classic one liners in it, and the narration by Ralphie is pretty relatable, especially to college students. Here are some of the one liners and lines from the movie A Christmas Story that I think describe college.

1. The daily struggle of getting out of bed.

Randy's mom definitely makes sure that he is ready and equipped for the snow. But, there is a downside. He falls down in the snow, and he can't get up; he can barely move because of the amount of coats and layers he has on. Basically, Randy is like me trying to get out of bed. I just can't do it.

2. When Finals roll around.

This Christmas noose that Ralphie feels has another name, and it's called Finals. As they get closer and closer, the grip that all of our schoolwork and exams have on us gets stronger and stronger. Even though Christmas is coming, we still have to get through Finals, and those few weeks of exams make you feel like you're losing your mind.

3. When you get a paper or exam back from your professor that you felt good about, but you didn't do too hot on.

When Ralphie told Santa Clause what he wanted for Christmas, a Red Rider Carbine Action 200-shot Range Model air rifle, Santa proceeded to tell him, like everyone else did, that he would "shoot his eye out". Santa Clause then put his foot on Ralphie's forehead and kicked him down the slide, crushing Ralphie's spirits. This is pretty much how I feel when I get a grade back that I expected would be better. It's a kick in the face.

4. The constant running around.

This pretty much explains itself. There's no time for anything in college. College is basically class, homework, studying, and sleep (plus any extracurriculars).

5. Reading in class and completely screwing up a word that you shouldn't have.

This happened to me this semester in my English class with the word 'causal'. I completely misread it and said 'casual', and my professor proceeded to laugh and correct me. In these moments, you just have to laugh at yourself and move on. Embrace the silly mistakes and learn from them. It's safe to say that any time I see the word 'causal,' I make sure that I say it right.

6. Getting a good grade on a big paper or exam.

This is one of my favorite moments of the movie, when Old Man Parker gets his leg lamp. He wins it and proceeds to flaunt it with immense pride in his window display. The swelling pride and that Old Man Parker had when he bragged to his neighbors about his 'award' can be pretty similar to the pride and happiness that we college students feel when we put our entire existence into studying for an exam, and the results show in the exam grade.

7. Eating in the dining hall.

In all honesty, the dining hall food has gotten less and less impressive as the weeks go on. I remember the first week of school, tons of my friends got sick because of the dining hall food. Picking between the dining hall and the Chat has become a fairly easy decision for me, because I've gotten so sick of both options since those two places are pretty much the only two eating destinations on campus.

8. When you wear sweats all day and look like a bum in class.

This hits home for me. Whenever I go into class, I internalize Ralphie's reaction to this bunny onesie. All of my classmates are always so dressed up and they always look so nice, and then I wear my hair up and wear sweats all the time. Whenever I feel like someone is judging me for my lazy wardrobe choices, or just when people are being kinda dumb in general, I channel this classic Ralphie moment.

9. The internal conversation that you have with yourself about how long you can put off writing a paper... Plus, I just had to put in this classic moment.

It's so optimistic to say that you'll write a paper long before the due date. I play a game with myself that tons of other college students take part in, and it's called procrastination. I always challenge myself to put a paper off until the last minute, and I almost always regret it- it kinda feels like Flick after he got his tongue stuck to the pole and was fussing around, crying, and freaking out, yelling, "Stuck! Stuck!"

These are only some of the many moments that I absolutely love from A Christmas Story that can also apply to the college lifestyle. I can feel myself relating to Ralphie. We both want something for Christmas, and we both have to work hard for it; he wants a Red Rider Carbine Action 200-shot Range Model air rifle, and I just want good grades and to keep my sanity.