To The College Student Who Is Thinking About Changing Their Major

Take that next step and follow your heart

70

To the college student who is thinking about changing their major:

It’s okay. Almost everyone changes their major at some point. That uncertainty you’re feeling? That’s normal (at least I hope it is). Even if you love what you’re currently majoring in but another path keeps tugging at your heart, maybe you should give it a try. Sure, changing your major can mean you’ll be in school longer if you’re late to the game or if you haven’t taken the required pre-reqs for the classes you’ll now need to take, but if it's something you can’t see yourself not doing or something you know your heart is being drawn to, it will be well worth it.

There are people that major in something just because it will pay the big bucks when they graduate and that's perfectly fine. But what I wonder is, in 20 years will they still be happy with what they chose or will they always think in the back of their minds, “What if?” Then there are those who follow the path their heart leads them on to a career that they don’t make squat but they’re perfectly happy because they know it’s where they’re meant to be. For those who are completely content and are living the dream, they did it not for the money (mostly), but because it’s what they love to do.

If you’ve been majoring in one program but you can always hear that “what if” in the back of your mind and feel your heart being tugged the opposite direction, it’s okay to take a class in the program where your heart and mind are leading you. That way you can truly know where you’re supposed to be with nothing holding you back and no future regrets.

My question and challenge to you are as follows: are you truly happy with what you are doing, and looking ahead in the next decade, do you see yourself being truly happy and content in what you’re doing? Or do you see yourself as a miserable 40-something that wishes they would’ve followed their heart to where they truly belong? Sometimes it takes graduating and working in the field for a year or two to realize that is not where you belong only to go back to school and follow your heart to where you felt lead in the first place.