8 Habits Every Student Should Develop in College

Regardless of your major or the career you want to pursue, these habits will help any student be successful.

473

College students spend their university years learning inside and outside of the classroom. While you’re studying for exams, you’re also preparing your personal habits and social skills for a successful adult life away from campus. Take advantage of your remaining time in school by learning these eight habits every student should develop in college.

People who walk across the graduation stage with these habits already in their skill set feel more prepared for what lies ahead. You can deal with any of life’s curveballs while chasing your goals and loving life if these practices support you along the way. Start learning them today to set yourself up for success.

1. Start Daily to-Do Lists

Students have plenty of responsibilities to juggle at any given time, but things get even more complicated after college. You’ll have to balance numerous deadlines at work while taking care of your loved ones at home and your well-being. It’s much easier to keep track of what you have left to accomplish each week by using daily to-do lists. Set reminders on your phone, use a planner or post your task list where you’ll see it all day to stay focused and never miss a deadline.

2. Balance Your Relationships

Maintaining relationships is much easier when classes, study groups and seasonal breaks align everyone’s schedules. You might find it more challenging to keep up with everyone after getting different jobs and starting your own lives.

Learn how to balance your relationships by dedicating specific days to certain people every week. You might make a recurring friend date every Tuesday night and spend time on yourself every Thursday. It may seem robotic at first, but you’ll fall into a healthy social schedule that minimizes your loneliness and prevents relationships from falling apart after graduation.

3. Eat Healthy Food

You won’t have a cafeteria with ready-made food after graduation. It’s time to start thinking about how you’ll eat a healthy diet when cooking is up to you. Consider if each of your meals provides protein, whole grains and essential nutrients. If you’re only eating highly processed foods or packaged meals high in sugar, your body likely needs more veggies and natural foods to maintain your health.

4. Learn How to Communicate

Working professionals who know how to communicate with their team members are assets to their employers. You’ll learn how to bond with new co-workers, complete team projects more efficiently and brainstorm innovative ideas with others. People who work on this habit can succeed in any job, from construction to accounting.

Practice communication skills with other students and your professors by learning how your intent comes across. Well-written emails and proactive texts are a few ways to start this habit. As your communication skills strengthen, you’ll have an easier time with your study groups, part-time jobs and any conversations with your professors.

5. Stay Ahead of New Technology

It’s easy to slip into a routine disconnected from the world when you have a full-time job. You’ll feel accomplished when you do well at work and take care of yourself throughout the day, but keeping up with real-world developments will aid your career.

Technology is rapidly advancing, so stay focused on learning about whatever new tech hits the market. You could impress your boss by making your company more productive after introducing the latest advancements. As a recruiter, you might advocate for artificial intelligence software that highlights candidates’ related skill sets within minutes. Your team could start videoconferencing more often with remote co-workers or make your office safer with tech-based security systems.

6. Deconstruct Your Procrastination Tendencies

Are you the person in your friend group who jokes about how you turn in your best work after an emergency all-nighter before a deadline? That might work for you right now, but procrastination can stall or stop your career. Proactive behaviors are habits every student should develop in college because they’ll help you throughout your life.

Start by figuring out your motivation for each task. Your work could advance your career, make a great memory or help others. Avoid thinking of anything as impossible and you’ll feel much more encouraged to tackle responsibilities without the anxiety caused by procrastination.

7. Prioritize Regular Exercise

Walking or biking to class is great exercise, but everything changes when you’re sitting at a desk all day. Start prioritizing a new exercise routine so your health doesn’t suffer from a sedentary lifestyle. Evening walks after dinner or cycling on your lunch break are just a few ways to get moving if your post-graduation life doesn’t have as much movement.

8. Learn How to Defeat Stress

When you have a bad day at work, get overwhelmed by new bills or deal with emergencies, you’ll need good stress coping skills. Learn what you enjoy now by trying new habits like taking hot baths, meditating or journaling while you’re still working within your familiar student schedule.

Develop These Habits in College

These habits will make your post-graduation life much easier. If you know how to manage your mental health, take care of your body and bond with other people, adulting will become much more fun in a new world without classes and professors.