What It's Really Like To Be A College Student Fighting Depression

College is hard... College & depression is harder
42

Depression is being surrounded by friends and family, and still feeling alone and empty on the inside. It's a feeling that you can't control, and an emotion that overcomes you at the most unfortunate times.

Depression doesn't have a schedule. You could have exams and important projects due, but you can't get out of bed to study. Depression is being invited to parties on the weekend and wanting to go, but talking yourself out of it at the last minute. Depression induces seclusion. Depression entails losing the passion for activities you once loved. Depression is missing classes just because you can't get out of bed.

It's a feeling of constantly being overwhelmed and always feeling inadequate. It's the feeling of being unloved and unwanted. The trickiest thing about feeling this way is knowing that it isn't really you... It's hard to keep your depression from defining you when you constantly feel down.

College is 4 challenging years of hard classes, tough professors, and life changes. Adding on depression only makes it harder. Being depressed is hard, and I know how you feel. I hope that you don't ignore your depression, because the way you are feeling is real. You're going to have good days, and bad days... so my only advice is to take it one day at a time. Remember, there's no shame in taking a mental health day, and it's very important to put your mental health first.

College is hard, but college and depression is harder. I hope you can find the strength to persevere.