12 College Self-Care Tips

12 College Self-Care Tips

A few tips for taking care of yourself while away at school

13
12 College Self-Care Tips

As a freshman just starting out in college, I'm experiencing a lot of new things. From meal plans, to buying books, to homesickness, it's all a little nerve-wracking. What I'm not unfamiliar with, however, is dealing with stress. I've always stressed a lot during the school year, and so far college is no different. I'm sure a ton of people are in the same boat, so here are some tips that'll help you take care of yourself during this stressful time.

1. Keep a journal.

Writing is a great way to relieve stress and relax, even if you don't think you're particularly good at it. Just writing out your thoughts, feelings, or even your favorite quotes can help you feel better in a matter of minutes. I have journals filled with all sorts of random entries.

2. Get lots of sleep.

Sleep has always been my favorite thing. In college, it's important to make sure you get a lot of rest to prepare for the next day. It'll help you feel refreshed and much happier when dealing with those awful morning classes.

3. Create a playlist with your favorite songs.

Music is an awesome way to forget about things for a while. Just take a few minutes to jam to your favorite songs and you'll feel much more relaxed. Even just listening while on your way to class will help brighten up your day.

4. Talk to someone.

Whether you feel comfortable talking to a therapist, mentor, or just your best friend, it's important to talk your feelings out sometimes. It'll improve your mental health, which is just as important as your physical health. (Many college campuses even offer free therapy sessions, so look into it!)

5. Go for the cookies...

Dessert is the best meal of the day, right? While the Freshman Fifteen myth isn't really that much of a myth, it's still okay to treat yourself to junk food when you're feeling stressed. Eating healthy is important for your health as well, so keep your menu balanced.

6. Watch a movie or binge-watch Netflix.

Sometimes just taking a few hours (when you have the time) to sit and watch your favorite movie or show can make all the difference. It'll give you something to focus on other than schoolwork, and you'll enjoy it. (My favorites are Friends, Stranger Things, and Supernatural)

7. Exercise!

Yeah, we all hate it. But walking across campus for class just doesn't cut it sometimes. Exercise has been proven to improve your mood, even if it doesn't seem like it at first. Get out, get some much needed fresh air, and enjoy a walk or run for a little while.

8. Wear clothes you feel comfortable in.

Everyone is pretty laid back in college, so you can show up to class in almost anything you want. If you feel comfortable in a dress-go for it! If wearing sweatpants or jeans is your thing, that's good too. Once you feel comfortable in what you're wearing you'll be more confident, and enjoy your day more.

9. Turn off your phone.

We're all basically attached to our phones at this point, but science has proved that ignoring your electronics for a little while will improve your mood. It'll also help you focus on studying, doing homework, or having a conversation with your friends. And don't worry, Instagram will still be there for you after.

10. Call your mom.

We've all been told its a horrible idea to go home within the first month or so of college. That doesn't mean you can't call your mom to tell her about your day, or complain about your professor. Venting to someone else will help you feel better, and talking to someone at home will help with your homesickness.

11. Give yourself a break.

Whether this means a literal break from work, or just going easy on yourself, it's important. Everyone is stressed out, and it's important to know it's okay for you to be, too. Just take things one step at a time and you'll be okay.

12. Have fun!

Part of the college experience is making new friends, trying new things, and having a good time. While you need to be careful about how you balance your time, it is important to treat yourself sometimes. There are always activities going on around campus-from clubs, to karaoke, to s'mores in the courtyard. Get involved and have fun.