College Has Taught Me More About Life Than I Could Have Ever Imagined

You only get one life, so stop existing and start LIVING.

137
Kayleigh Garrison

When I think about everything college has taught me, I can't pinpoint one specific life lesson I have learned, because college is a lesson on its own, and I have learned more about myself and life than I could have ever imagined when I was a bright-eyed senior in high school.

However, one doesn't have to be in college to experience one of the biggest transitions of their life. I think anyone at an age between high school and whatever you consider adulthood is experiencing something similar to me.

I'm on my own for the first time. I'm making my own decisions, paying my own bills, going grocery shopping--which is a lesson in and of itself--and I'm making my mark in the world; I'm at an age where only I can hold myself accountable.

Since I started college, I have learned who I want to be and what I want to do with my life, just like I have figured out who I don't want to be and what I don't want to do with my life.

Through a series of trials and errors and obstacles and challenges that pushed me down the rabbit hole for a while, I have since climbed out of the rabbit hole and started paving my path towards the life I have always wanted to live.

College has taught me that if you're not doing what you're passionate about, you will be miserable. It has also taught me that even if you're slightly curious about something, whether that be a career change, major change, relationship change, hobby, etc., try it. As they say, you'll never know if you don't try. As cliché and overused as that saying is, it's overlooked and forgotten too often.

It's a natural human instinct to stay in your comfort zone and only do what you know and be who you know. It's often viewed as taboo to think outside of the box and change yourself or your life drastically. No one wants to step outside of their comfort zone for a reason: comfort. It's like sitting on a comfy couch; why get off the couch when you're comfortable? People often stay in their comfort zone because doing anything but is terrifying and sometimes results in failure, and no one wants to experience failure. However, if you never step outside your comfort zone or try something that you're curious about, you'll spend your life wondering, what if?

My sophomore year of college, I changed my major half a dozen times. When I think of who I was last year, I envision a reckless, confused girl who had no idea where she was going or what she wanted; sometimes I still see myself that way.

While I regret changing my major, I wouldn't be the person I am today without that difficult year and the many reckless decisions I made. I resented my major when I was first studying it, but when I wasn't studying journalism and was off trying various career fields, I realized what I was missing out on and eventually fell in love with journalism again. It took a serious of trials and errors to make me realize where "home" really is: journalism.

College has taught me more things about myself and about life than I will ever be able to wrap my head around. It's difficult and confusing and significantly damages your bank account, but I wouldn't trade the experience or lessons learned for the world.

College is the perfect time to make reckless (legal) decisions, be irresponsible, eat pizza at midnight, go to the bar on a Tuesday, laugh until you cry, change your major, change yourself and change your life, but not just college--life.

Sure, you get to a certain age where you're expected to have it all together, but does anyone really have everything figured out? Is there such a thing as the perfect job, perfect house, perfect marriage and perfect life? Or is that just a tall tale told by someone who has never truly lived?

Don't fret the bad decisions or failed career. Don't pity yourself over a failed marriage. Don't waste away this precious life you are so lucky to live. You only get one, so stop existing and start LIVING.