Sadly, Learning To Deal With Guys’ BS In College Is Part Of Every Girl’s Bachelor’s Degree

Maybe we should require colleges to start offering dating classes.

456
Instagram | Nicole Carlson

It’s your freshman year of college.

You’re stoked about the possibilities of potentially having a long-term relationship that’ll bring 2 AM trips to Waffle House and weekend getaways to the next state over.

After twelve classes, one of which you spent the whole time wondering if John would ever text you back, and countless horrific Tinder experiences, you’re pretty much ready to call this whole “dating thing” quits.

If you’re going into college looking for a relationship, then just don’t go to college.

I was never a big believer in the whole, “You’ll find yourself in a relationship when you least expect it” thing because I mean, how freaking cliche does that sound? But you have to admit, there’s a good point underneath all of this: you shouldn’t be looking.

You should be focused on getting your degree and pursuing whatever sets your soul on fire. But in the middle of crafting a beautiful resume that eventually lands you the internship you’ve always dreamed of, there’s something missing. It’s like this void you feel like you have to fill, and no matter how much you love yourself, you’ll still think about it here and there (don’t @ me).

You’re a down-to-earth gal that any guy would be lucky to land a date with, yet you will come across plenty of guys who confuse the shit out of you.

There’s the one who flirts with you for months, but never seems to make a move past that, and the moment you do, he claims he thought you guys were “just friends.” Well then quit flirting with me, god damn it.

There are even worse kinds, like the ones who blow you off on dates, but you’re strong enough to walk away and not give into the text message you receive the next morning. The kind who don’t even want to call it a “date” and say that you two are just “hanging out.” I’m sorry, but if you drive me to the restaurant you were raving about and insist on paying for my meal, then well, uhm, that’s a date, isn’t it?

SEE ALSO: I'm The Girl Who Is Alone, Eating Pizza And Listening To John Mayer, But I'm Here For It

You will come across plenty of guys who just aren’t worth it. I don’t care how attractive you think he is, if he can’t be honest with you, screw him. Sadly enough, getting emotionally invested too quickly has become the downfall of most girls’ college dating lives.

But are we really the ones to blame when we’re constantly being told that true love does exist, even in a place where you would “least expect it” to?

We’re told that it’s okay, and often encouraged, to be vulnerable and to tell the truth about how we feel. When you’re past the whole “playing it cool” period, it’s time to get real. Yet the moment you do, the guy ends up running in the other direction.

You question everything that you ever said or did, but let me tell you to stop right there. Please just let him go. Just let it be.

You will run yourself insane if you try to “work things out” and welcome him back into your life. I’m telling you, if it’s meant to be, it WILL be.

The problem is that most of us haven’t found our “meant to be” guy yet, but I hope you find him soon because underneath all the BS, there’s a guy meant just for you.