We Had 4 Years. Now There’s Only 4 Weeks

Just stop for a minute and slow down.

116
123rf

Seniors, we had four years, now we have four short weeks until the end of school. Time has flown by, and the time I thought would never end is now coming to a screeching halt. Although I am excited to graduate and move on with my life at Baylor, I can’t help but reminisce the time spent at my high school. I had some great times. I had some horrible times. I had sometimes I felt like giving up, but I know that walking the stage in four weeks will be extremely rewarding.

I want you to look back at high school. For most of us, it probably wasn’t that great. I did not enjoy the majority of my time spent at school. All the stress from AP classes, the group projects where you ended up doing all the work, the late night study sessions, and let’s not forget the dreaded breakouts.

Although my time spent in high school was not the best, I do not want to be bitter. I had amazing teachers. I made friends along the way. I learned a few things (the mitochondria is the powerhouse of the cell). When looking back, try to remember the good along with the bad. No experience is going to be perfect, but I think it is important we appreciate the time we have before it is too late.

Hug your parents a little tighter. Tell your siblings you love them. Hang out with your friends a couple more times while you are still in the same city as them. The people you grew up with will soon no longer be in your life.

Don’t get me wrong, I am excited to transition from a senior in high school to a freshman in college. I am excited about orientation. I am excited about Line Camp and learning all the Baylor traditions. I am excited to finally find a community that will accept me for who I am. But I’m also sad to leave behind my family, my childhood home, my dogs. My life is about to get super hectic in the next four months as I prepare to move into my dorm with my new wonderful roommates!

My point is, just stop for a minute and slow down. Enjoy the last bit of high school. Talk to a random kid you have never seen before. Appreciate your favorite teacher. With four weeks of school left, make sure you make the most of your time.

Congrats, future grads!