College Orientation Freshman questions

15 Questions every freshman ponders at orientation

College orientation can spark lots of curiosity, but we're all wondering the same things.

251
https://www.instagram.com/collegeofcharleston/?hl=en
Instagram

Orientation is the time when your post-high-school-graduation honeymoon ends and the reality of becoming a college freshman sets in. This is a big change, and it's totally normal to feel nervous! College will be home to many "firsts," like assuming responsibility for actions or making adult decisions about money. One of the first official college events you'll attend as a student is orientation. You're not the only one who isn't quite sure what to expect (or wear) at your session, either. In honor of surviving my orientation, here are 15 questions every freshman ponders during their session.

"Did it have to start this early?"

When your check-in begins at 7:30 in the morning and your day runs until 9 pm, you're going to ask yourself why. Look on the bright side; orientation is preparing you for those glorious early morning classes you're taking (because every other time slot was full)!

"Why is she looking at me like that?"

Everyone at orientation is nervous and has no idea who to socialize with. You might see some people looking you up and down or staring at your outfit. They're just trying to take in their surroundings and figure out who to acquaint themselves with. Don't take it personally!

"Do I look like this IRL?"

Try not to judge your university ID too hard - you do not look as ragged as you think. Own those funky dimensions!

"When is lunch?"

*Half an hour into your day*

"How many more speeches am I going to sit through?"

Many, but be respectful and attentive. Your school scheduled these speakers because they have messages you need to hear. Many of the speakers are representatives from offices you're better off knowing! It's a good idea to take some notes and handouts.

"Do I have pit stains?"

You'll probably be really self conscious about your sweat during orientation. The good news is that other people most likely cannot see it (and don't care if you're sweating anyway)! If you're really worried about it, put on some extra deodorant and carry an extra stick with you.

"Oh man where am I?"

Although you'll mainly be with your orientation group, you're going to get lost at least once. College campuses are way bigger than high school campuses and can get super confusing (especially if it's your first time visiting). If you do get lost, ask for directions. Everyone's been in your shoes and will be happy to help you find your way.

"Was that person talking to me?"

They probably were. It's alright if you didn't notice, though. There's a lot going on. Take it all in!

"Who am I going to sit with at lunch?"

I promise, you are not going to have a Cady Heron-eating-alone-in-the-bathroom-stall moment. Ask your roommates or suite-mates to meet up, or ask to have lunch with that one person you've stuck with in your group. Everyone there is trying to make new friends. Even if you do end up having lunch alone, know there's absolutely no shame in enjoying your own company.

"How am I going to remember all of this information?"

There is so much information being thrown at you that there's no way for you to recall everything. Luckily, this information is available online. This is why you should grab all the handouts being offered to you! If you have resources to remind you of what you forgot, you'll have no problem obtaining pertinent information later.

"I'm taking how many credit hours?!"

You got this. Use your resources! So many people at your institution want to help you achieve your goals.

"Will I turn into a walking 'broke college student' meme?"

This might be what every incoming freshman fears most. Don't let images of microwaved ramen noodles haunt you at night. There are ways to be smart with your money - find them (hello YouTube and Pinterest)!

"Am I going to have time for all this?"

The truth is that you'll need to up your time-management skills and prioritize. You're only one person, and your time is precious.

"Why was I doing anything other than this before?"

You'll probably fall even more in love with your school at orientation than before. The atmosphere, community, and opportunities will have you so excited that you'll wonder why you ever considered a different school, and why you haven't been there your whole life.

"Can move in day come quicker?"

Aside from class registration, orientation is basically a hype day for the beginning of your first semester, and trust me, the hype will be strong. You'll leave orientation dreaming of move in day!

The most important parts of orientation are to get the information you need, schedule classes, and be yourself! You'll find your niche and thrive in no time. Good luck!