4 Things All College Freshman Should do

4 Things All College Freshman Should do

...but only if you want college to be the best four years of your life.

55
https://www.pexels.com/photo/woman-wearing-green-top-reading-book-953430/

College is weird, in a good way. Think about it... 18-22-year-olds are shipped off to an unfamiliar place as a way to prepare for adulthood and basically grow up. It's a time to figure out who you are. There will be plenty of mistakes made, but also an insane amount of memories too.

When I think about where I was two years ago as a college freshman and where I am now as a junior, these are some of the rules I followed and still follow, in order to make my college experience the best it can possibly be.

1. Make Friends

Not just with your roommate. Not just with that kid you know from your hometown. Walk down the hall and introduce yourself to every single person. Join an organization! Into sports? There's an org for you. Into flying kites? There's probably an org for you too.

I promise it doesn't take much, striking up a conversation about the abundance of mac n cheese your mom packed for you will earn you at least two friends. Just remember everyone is in the same boat, everyone is trying to meet new people and find their group.

The best thing about college is that there are thousands of kids, and odds are, none of them are exactly like you. Everyone you meet brings something different to the table, take advantage of that. The first few months will be some of the loneliest if you don't leave your comfort zone and meet new people.

2. Do Your Work

It's so easy to get caught up in all of the newfound freedom you will soon have. There will be no one nagging you to do that paper due soon or making sure you did your part of the group project. Write your due dates in a planner and check that planner before, during, and after classes each day.

You will most definitely want to spend your nights sitting in the lounge with your new friends and bond with one another by doing the dumbest things you can think of, but believe me it's not the end of the world if you skip one thirsty Thursday in order to finish that history paper.

3. Take Advantage Of Resources

From the moment you become a college student, it feels like the four years ahead of you are rushed and everyone is telling you the things you need to be doing right now in order to get a decent job four years from now. First of all, chill, I was in high school like two seconds ago.

Needless to say, it's extremely overwhelming. First things first, sit down with your advisor and talk about your goals. Let them help you make a plan, and if those plans change, let them help you make another one. Book an appointment with the career services center and have them review your resumé and give you tips on how to make it the best thing to cross any employer's desk.

Go to those internships and interviewing seminars your school puts together every now and then. It's best to have knowledge of this stuff early on and being prepared never hurt anyone.

4. Enjoy Yourself

College is only four years! I'm halfway through and I dread graduation every time someone has the nerve to mention it. The best piece of advice I ever got was to never say no to a chill (or wild) night with friends, unless you have something due the next morning and have yet to even look at what needs to be done, which happens to everyone at least once. Take risks & do crazy (legal) things...don't you want to have good stories to tell your kids someday?