Some Conferences Are Still Planning To Have College Football This Fall, But Is That Really A Good Idea?

While many conferences cancel or postpone the fall season, some, such as ACC and SEC, continue to play only conference games. But during this time, does college football really have to play in the fall?

11

While COVID-19 cases continue to rise in the states, the majority of fall sports were cancelled or postponed to the spring. One of the fall sports includes football. Football is a time for people to unite and cheer on their schools. But due to COVID-19, we have to take precautions, which includes wearing masks, social distancing, and staying home. Because of this, and to protect the football players, cheerleaders, bands, and of course the fans, many conferences decided to put a hold on the season until there is more certainty.

Football has always been held in the fall, but why not just for this year have the season in the spring? The main reason here is that people have been DYING to see some sports as many professional sports (such as the NBA and MLB) cancelled or postponed in the spring. MLB was the first to try out a season without any fans. However, players continued to test positive for COVID-19. This raises concerns of how other professional sports and college sports will handle their seasons in the falls.

All eyes are on ACC, SEC, and the Big 12, as they continue on with conference games only. Players, such as Trevor Lawrence (Clemson), tweeted how him and many other players want to have a season. Even the President of the United States tweeted to let college football play on. While many want to have a college football season, it's still too dangerous to have a season.

As of August 18th, spectators are able to watch the games at the stadium as long as they pass a temperature check. This raises many red flags as people can be asymptomatic and still spread it, even though they passed a temperature check. The best way for these conferences to avoid a surge in COVID-19 cases while having a season is to not have any fans in the stadium, or simply not have a season at all.

With many large gatherings, such as football games, there is a extremely high chance that COVID-19 will continue to spread. If the vaccine is released at the end of this year or the beginning of next year and everyone is able to get vaccinated, then the fall seasons may be able to play in the spring. But for now, we just play it by ear.

Please, please, please, wear a mask, social distance, and stay home if possible. We are in this together.