18 Things 'They' Don't Tell You About College

I don't know who "they" is but yeah they didn't do their job on preparing me for this.

66
pixels.com

The transition from high school to college is weird and different and completely uncomfy. So I know I'm only a freshman, but I just finished my first semester at Mississippi State University, and you know, I went to orientation and on the tours and everything, but there are some things those bubbly little tour guides forgot to mention. If you're about to start your college career at a big university, here are some things you might not be prepared for, because I sure wasn't.

You will walk a lot so dress accordingly

Whether the weather be 103 degrees or 23 degrees, raining, tornadoing, whatever... Class still happens, theres still no parking, and you have to get there one way or another.

You don't need to be 30 mins early to every class on your first day

On my first day I was FREAKING OUT because I didn't want to be that one student who walked in late. Turns out the classroom is usually still full from the previous class until about ten minutes before so jokes on me.

You don't raise your hand to pee

HAHHAHA this DID NOT happen to me, for the record, but a girl in my class actually raised her hand in the middle of lecture and asked the teacher if she could go to the bathroom. Yeah please don't do this.

Attendance matters in the end 

At the end of the semester when your teacher says if you had less than three absences she will drop your lowest test grade but you had four<<<<<<.

CHECK YOUR EMAILS

I didn't do this at first, but it is absolutely crucial. Stay on top of your emails. Important stuff.

Getting involved freshman year is important

Don't wait! Start getting involves ASAP.

There's food everywhere 

When packing for college, I thought I was going to starve. Theres literally food everywhere, don't stress.

Nobody cares what you wear

If you don't have any clean clothes, you're running late, it doesn't matter just go. Someone will be dressed worse I promise.

There will always be someone to go to the grocery store with

I thought I would have to go running errands alone, but grab a friend and go! People are down for anything.

YOU WILL MAKE FRIENDS 

This goes along with getting involved, the more you do the more friends you have! Put yourself out there and connect with people.

When you're stressed/sick/tired/hungry you have to deal with it yourself 

Moms not there to make you soup! Take care of yourself and don't try to do too much.

Dorms "catch on fire" a lot 

Theres been many nights I was so ready to getting my bed and whoop, theres a fire truck and everyones in the parking lot. This is not a fun time.

Get to know your advisor 

Advisors area crucial part to your success, go see them!

The time formal flies by

The rumor is true. Time flies.

You will literally study so much 

Your brain will hurt, but that means it's working. Keep going!

There's a party around every corner

Theres always something fun to do! Don't be bored, just get out and get involved.

Nobody is there to make you drink water/go to the gym/shower 

Self care is so so important! It comes down to your taking care of you, and I promise it feels so good to sweat and drink something without bubbles every now and then.

The FOMO is real, but it's okay to say no

Sometimes you can't go to the party or game, but school is way more important.