So You Moved Into College. Here Are 9 Things You Should Do Next

Moved in? Here are the steps to set up a good foundation for a great year!

1. Organize your room

It is very important to organize your room when you're first at college. The dorm is your living room, bedroom, and entertaining room all rolled into one. If the room isn't clean then you ultimately feel a mess. Now I am not saying it has to be perfect but clothes should be away and desk cleared off for upcoming assignments. So your first step is to get your dorm set up along with your backpack.

2. Meet the people in your hall

Free Pik

Leave the room and meet all the people around you. You may be surprised that you know one or two. It is very fun to be able to visit others from your dorm and get out in general. If you know some friends in another dorm walk to them and meet people there too. It is good to see people everywhere at your school and broaden your friend group.

3. List your tests and quizzes

I like to list out all of my test and quizzes so I know after one test which one is coming up next. It is an easy way to prepare your self for the upcoming crazy semester. It is very liberating to cross off each exam, test and quiz knowing you have one less to do. So list it up and get a handle on the semester before it gets "out-of-hand."

4. Consider rushing or joining a club

Clubs are a great opportunity to meet friends and get involved in the community, but joining a sorority/fraternity helps accomplish similar things and values. All types of Greek life have different philanthropy and morals, which lead them in helping the community around them. If you crave a close-knit community joining a club or Greek life maybe for you.

5. Use your weekends to travel

Look around your college community for the cute shops and places you can visit. If you know a local ask them for tips and tricks to cool places you can look around and visit. Especially if you want to get away from campus for some great food ask people of the community for their opinion because they know exactly where the good places are.

6. Need a job? Look for a job.

Look for a job on campus. Jobs are in a lot of places if you look hard and fast. You need to be fast because other people may be looking for a job also. If you have a car you have an even bigger chance of looking for jobs around the campus. Good luck and start looking!

7. Get ahead on your homework

The best thing you can do for your self is to get ahead on your homework. I feel at peace when I have assignments done and ready to be handed in. This way you are not blindsided when faced with more fun opportunities that you have to turn down because of homework assignments.

8. Memorize your class route

Picture this, it's the first day of school and you have five minutes to walk to your class. Catch is you have no idea where it is, by knowing your walking route on a daily basis you won't give your self the chance to get lost. All in all fellow students and faculty are more than happy to help you so don't be nervous to reach out.

9. It's college, make some memories!

This picture is from the beach day last year with some of my best friends. Go places, meet people, and try something new because this is the time to do so. Travel to the beach, a lake or a signature place in your college town and hang out with friends. All in all take time to make some memories.