coffee addiction caffeine
Food Drink

Mom, My Coffee Addiction Isn't As Bad As You Think

This one's for you, Mom. Science says drinking coffee is totally fine.

208
https://unsplash.com/photos/y537fGGPipI?utm_source=unsplash&utm_medium=referral&utm_content=creditCopyText
https://unsplash.com/photos/y537fGGPipI

When I say that, I meant that drinking as much coffee as I do isn't bad. The addiction itself is incredibly deep-rooted and I couldn't function without it. But that's not the point.

Growing up I was always told I wasn't allowed to drink coffee because it keeps me up and stunts my growth and stains my teeth and blah blah blah. Well, news flash, Mom! Coffee, in fact, doesn't keep me up, I'm an average height, and my teeth are white!

Coffee isn't even bad for you. I mean, drinking 5 Venti caramel iced coffees from Starbucks a day is a LOT of sugar and milk and other things that you definitely don't need to be consuming a lot of. But, when drank correctly and in moderation, it isn't bad for you!

Studies have shown that drinking coffee can lower your risk of heart disease, diabetes, and even neurological conditions like Alzheimer's. Coffee has antioxidants in it, which combat damaging oxidizing agents and are very good for you. It also contains anti-inflammatory compounds which is what aids in lowering your risk of neurological diseases like Alzheimer's.

So, when I tell my mom that coffee is good for me and can never hurt me, I mean it. For the most part. The only downside that has been linked to problems is in pregnant consumers. Women who are pregnant and drink large amounts of coffee are at a higher risk for miscarriage. But, drinking caffeine while pregnant has always been something that we knew wasn't good. That's not saying that you can't drink it at all while pregnant, but definitely monitor your intake and keep the intake at a lower level.

As long as it is drank in moderation, this is good news! Now you can tell your mom, dad, friends, or siblings when they verbally attack you for your addiction to coffee that it isn't so bad after all. So, HA, Mom!