Part One: Climate Change Culprits

Part One: Climate Change Culprits

Take a look at the simple causes and effects of climate change.

22
Part One: Climate Change Culprits
EJCC

For the next few weeks, I have decided to write a series of articles addressing the causes and effects of climate change as well as the three major industries that are contributing to greenhouse gas emissions, which contribute to climate change. These include the energy sector, animal agriculture and the transportation industry.

So, what is climate change?

Here's a short intro from everyone's favorite Science Guy.

Global warming is the greatest threat to ever face humanity, and a vast majority of the factors that are causing this phenomenon to occur are due to people's everyday activities. Global warming, or climate change, is the process of carbon dioxide, chlorofluorocarbons and other pollutant levels increasing, due to human activities, and becoming trapped in the earth's atmosphere, which creates an effect similar to a greenhouse and causes the Earth to warm.

What are the potential side effects of climate change?

The side effects of global warming are numerous and extremely wide-ranging. Polar ice caps are melting which causes sea levels to rise, which in turn will submerge inhabited land around the globe. That will cause a majority of the world's population to move inland, which will eventually lead to resource competition and more disease, among other issues. Sea levels are expected to rise seven to 23 inches by the end of the century.

Ecosystems will drastically change and some species will go extinct, such as the Bramble Cay Melomys, which became the first mammal declared extinct due to habitat loss from rising sea levels due to climate change in June of 2016. Coral reef ecosystems will be hit hard due to ocean acidification and coral reef bleaching. Weather events will become more violent and off-season, such as the recent Hurricane Matthew. Truly, there is no way to know all of the harmful effects of climate change until they occur.

At this point, there has to be dramatic action to stop climate change. Now, our new president doesn't even believe climate change is real. We must take action and make conscious choices to combat greenhouse gas emissions.

How can we easily make a difference?

There are now energy alternatives to coal, oil and natural gas, including solar and wind energy. Decreasing meat and animal product consumption will drastically decrease an individual’s carbon footprint, as well as choosing transportation alternatives, such as electric vehicles, walking or biking, or even public transportation or carpooling. The energy, animal agriculture and transportation industries are the planet’s largest climate culprits that are contributing to greenhouse gas emissions that are causing the planet to warm. Climate change is the greatest threat to humanity, and there needs to be substantial action to stop it.

“On climate change, we often don't fully appreciate that it is a problem. We think it is a problem waiting to happen.” - Kofi Annan

Check in next week for my next article on how the energy sector is contributing to climate change!