10 Clean-Energy U.S. Cities
Politics

10 Clean-Energy U.S. Cities

These U.S. cities have committed to 100 percent renewable energy.

64
10 Clean-Energy U.S. Cities
LinkedIn

It is absolutely ridiculous how little renewable energy the United States uses out of our total energy consumption. Renewable energy only makes up 10 percent of our total consumption, while petroleum is a whopping 36 percent, natural gas 29 percent and coal 16 percent.

"Whether you're from a red state or blue state, clean energy works for everyone and local leaders will continue to move forward to create more jobs, stronger communities, and cleaner air and water."

- Sierra Club Executive Director, Michael Brune

However, some US cities have taken monumental steps towards (or already achieving) 100 percent green, clean and renewable energy. Sierra Club did a case study to show how a renewable energy transition in a US city would keep money in local government coffers, create more local jobs, save people money and cut pollution. The benefits are numerous, and we are starting to see more cities making this transition.

Here are some cities that are already on track for 100 percent renewable energy.

1. Aspen, Colorado

This iconic ski destination achieved total green energy in 2015 and was the third U.S. city to do so.

“A lot of hard work, a commitment to a long-term goal and having a vision is what enabled us to get here. Nothing comes easy….20 years later, we’ve accomplished what we thought was impossible...I wanted to have confidence that what we’re doing is more than just a measure for us to celebrate our own successes. I want to make sure that we have things that are replicable and scalable for other communities to adopt.”

- Aspen Mayor Steve Skadron

2. Burlington, Vermont

Vermont's largest city, Burlington, was the first U.S. city to cross the threshold for 100 percent clean energy in 2014.

“The transition in thought from 2004 to 2008 was from ‘We want to do this’ to ‘This actually makes economic sense for us to do this.’”

- Manager of Power Resources for Burlington Electric Ken Nolan

3. East Hampton, New York

This NY beach community plans to achieve renewable electricity by 2020 and heating/cooling and transportation by 2030.

“Energy efficiency improvements and solar rooftop systems can save homeowners several of thousand dollars a year, while building local solar farms can generate hundreds of thousands of dollars in lease revenue for the town. Making the switch to clean energy is just the right thing to do, both for the environment and for keeping more money in the local economy and creating jobs here.”

- Town Supervisor Larry Cantwell

4. Georgetown, Texas

Georgetown, located in prime oil country, has committed to total clean energy by 2017 to save money and water.

“This was a business decision and it was a no-brainer. This is a long-term source of power that creates cost certainty, brings economic development, uses less water, and helps the environment.”

- Georgetown Mayor Dale Ross

5. Grand Rapids, Michigan

Grand Rapids has committed to 100 percent renewable energy by 2020, and as of 2013, they were 25 percent there.

“I say to colleague mayors, ‘Start something. Start small. Put solar panels on your city hall building. Stick some money away and do a geothermal project on one of your buildings. Or simply buy the RECs or buy the power from your public utility and get certification that it’s green power. But start some place. Once you get started, it actually feels pretty good.”

- Former Grand Rapids Mayor George Heartwell

6. Greensburg, Kansas

After being nearly wiped out by a tornado in May 2007, the town decided to rebuild themselves as a sustainable, green-energy town. They achieved 100 percent renewable energy in 2013.

“We did not just want to be a surviving community. We wanted to be a thriving community. As our ancestors built a community for us, we needed to build a community for future generations.”

- Mayor Bob Dixson

7. Rochester, Minnesota

Rochester has decided to go 100 percent renewable by 2031.

“I think we have a good step forward on a lot of things. It’ll be a challenge, but...if we don’t have a goal then you’ll never get it.”

- Mayor Ardell Brede

8. San Jose, California

San Jose committed to go 100 percent clean energy by 2022, and as of 2013, they had reached the goal by 24 percent.

“Our ‘green vision’ is a road map to becoming the center of innovation in clean technology."

- Mayor Chuck Reed

9. San Diego, California

San Diego is working toward complete green energy by 2035, and they reached 33 percent in 2014.

“Today San Diego took a landmark step toward securing a greener and more prosperous future. We’ve done something remarkable, bringing business and environmental interests together in a bipartisan manner to support a cleaner community and a stronger economy. We’ve struck the right balance with this plan, and San Diegans can look forward to more clean technology, renewable energy and economic growth.”

- Mayor Faulconer

10. San Francisco, California

San Francisco has committed to 100 percent renewable energy by 2030.

“We know that we are in a national city, a popular city, but we also want to be a city that contributes to the challenges of climate change and improves our world. If we can do that here, I suggest that we can do that anywhere.”

- San Francisco Mayor Ed Lee

Many other cities across the U.S. are gearing to take on complete sustainable energy, including Santa Monica, Kansas City, Cleveland, Alexandria, Boise, Denver, Boulder, Fort Collins, and most recently, St. Petersburg, Florida.

Read more about the case study and Sierra Club's #ReadyFor100 campaign here.