Christmas With A Sister

Christmas With A Sister

Why growing up doesn't mean you have to let go

7
Christmas With A Sister

"It's the Most Wonderful Time of the Year!"

When I think of the Holidays, I think of family time, Christmas trees, sparkling lights and good laughs. Christmas at our house became the one time a year where we could press "Pause" and just enjoy each other's company. This year, however, is a very special Christmas season because it identifies just how much I have grown with my little sister, Slayoncé.

Every Christmas Eve, my sister and I would watch Elf on repeat and have our annual sleepover. We would share laughs, jokes and talk about life and what we wanted. For me, that was everything. I mean, who doesn't want to hang out with their sister. When we woke up on Christmas Day, we would call the house, and our parents cell phones, to make sure they were actually awake because one, we were super hungry, and two, we needed coffee. With all jokes aside, this routine became a tradition and something I looked forward to every year.

This year, however, will be different. You see, my little sister graduated college this Fall, and I couldn't be more proud. She worked hard, she got involved, she fought for her dreams and she fell in love with the most amazing man God could provide for her. With all of these amazing accomplishments, she is moving to a brand new state to begin a new adventure. Am I worried? Of course I am, I will always worry for my little sister, no matter what she does. Am I happy? Of course I am, she is turning into a beautiful little butterfly (HAHA Bugs Life) and she is moving on with her life. However, this all just puts into perspective that we all grow up at some point, and our childhood days are only temporary. I mean, it feels like it was yesterday when we were being led down the stairs by our mom and dad, and opening our eyes and running towards the Christmas tree. It's as if yesterday we were learning about make-up, fashion and that boys don't actually have cooties. Lastly, it feels as if yesterday was the beginning of life. It was so magical and creative that it was nothing but perfect. Yet, we grow up, and no one ever tells you how much it hurts to realize that what you once knew, becomes nothing but a strong foundation.

This Christmas will be the last Christmas where my sister and I can have our annual sleepover, where we can call our parents non-stop at 8:30 a.m. because we are hungry, and that we can be children just one last time. Although she will be coming back to visit, it will just be different, which is great because our family is growing. But for those of you reading and want to take something out of this article, listen to this.

"Christmas time is the most wonderful time of year." Although it is about faith, it is more than that. It is about laughing about who has a little too much wine at the Christmas feast. It is about laughing so hard you start snorting when you bring out the family games. Christmas is about the awkward sweater parties, the coming together, and the amazing photos you can put on social media later. It is about coming together for the children's mass at church just to enjoy the one kid crying during the middle of the performance, or see the one kid screaming, "Jesus loves me this I know!" For me, it is about celebrating who we once were, and acknowledging who we will become. It is enjoying the timeline of celebration that our family will be growing and changing., and to think it all started with two crazy girls running around the house screaming because we got the same Happy Meal toy. Christmas is everything from the card you get in the mail, to the jingling bell you hear on the street for the Salvation Army. Regardless of what your Christmas feels like, it is meant to be celebrated.

Just because my little dorkbutt is moving away, doesn't mean that Christmas has to change. We don't have to let go of our crazy and probably ridiculous traditions because she is moving a few states over. No. Growing up with a sister is a blessing because it just means you have a sidekick to all of your crazy plans. It means that you have a permanent drinking buddy, a friendly face at the mall, and a partner in crime for the nail salon. Having a sister means challenging, and maybe beating up eachother, because what else are you going to do. With sisterhood, there is always going to be regret. There will be regret of the words you said when you were five. There will be sadness when you think of not being there for her when you should have, or not jumping the fence of the preschool to beat the other kids up. Yet, when you got beat up, she would hike the fence for you in a heart beat, and maybe rip her dress in the process. Having a sister means sharing all of the ridiculous family memories with someone who understands it in the same way you do. Regardless of what happens, growing up doesn't mean we have to let go of who we are or where we come from. It just means that we grow a little bit older, the conversations get longer, the drinks get bigger, and the pranks get funnier.

I know you are reading this, kiddo. Just know that I am so incredibly proud of you. I know we were never the best of friends growing up, but I appreciate you putting up with me regardless. Thank you for getting me out of my shell and showing me what it was like to have friends. Thank you for chasing me around the house with an ice cube because that was how you showed you cared. Thank you for being my shoulder to cry on when a boy broke my heart. Thank you for showing me that a little mascara never hurt anyone. Lastly, thanks for becoming my best friend. It is going to be hard, but I am so excited to be your cheerleader. But don't worry, you are still going to get ugly snaps,and the occasional gif explaining my awkwardness when I go out, and the funny texts about things that mom and dad do. I love you kiddo.

We are not throwing the past away, we are just switching it up with a little more alcohol and a lot more laughs. Congrats Kid, I hope that "father, can take you to the city, to see a marching band." And maybe join the Black Parade in the process.