Chiropractics: It's Not Just For Old People

Is your spine thirsty? Give it a pop.

37
Hawthorn Healing Arts

A pat on the back, a caress of the arm—these are everyday, incidental gestures that we usually take for granted, thanks to our amazingly dexterous hands. Our hands allow us not only to express ourselves with vivid storytelling but also to feel. The power of touch has undoubtedly cured those with the smallest of injuries to the injuries that seemed almost impossible to fix. The job of a chiropractor is not to simply adjust a body, but to find ways in which individuals can live their lives to their fullest potential.

My dream of becoming a chiropractor is one that has only recently come to be. I previously had a couple other career paths set for after college graduation. First, I wanted to become a professional dancer. This dream is one I have not quite given up on but put on the back burner for the time being. Second, I wished to be a massage therapist. I knew I wanted to work with the body and helping it through the healing process. If I combined that with dance, the possibilities for excellent performance would be endless. Massage therapy seemed like the answer.

And then I met Dr. Barham.

Dr. Steven Barham was the on-site D.C. at my previous workplace. He hired me to be the new Therapy Aide in the Performance Center upstairs. We exchanged conversations about family, friends, and my plans for the future. He offered words of wisdom, advice, encouragement, and tutorials when I got stuck on my intense Kinesiology assignments.

It was in mid-October this past year that I went to him with a question about a foot injury and back pain. The appointments with my massage therapist were not enough anymore. At the end of what seemed like a long examination, it was made clear that my body alignment was “out of whack”. I will never forget the way he explained my results.

Dr. Barham twisted a rubber band at the tip of his index finger and waited for it to slowly change color. With a light chuckle at my confused reaction, he began to massage the tip of his finger. The normal color came back for a quick second. He then began to move it around to get the blood flowing. Again, the normal color only came back for a split second. He explained that what was happening to his finger was what was happening with my skeletal system. No matter how many massages or stretches I tried, the real pain would not go away unless I “removed the rubber band” (i.e. realigned my skeletal discrepancies through chiropractic care).

That was a lightbulb moment. During my down time in Dr. Barham’s office, I conducted endless research on the benefits of getting adjusted, different methods of chiropractic care, the different schools in California, their philosophies, communities within the schools, the list went on and on. Every day I came in with questions about how the process to become a Doctor of Chiropractics went about, and how I could combine my background in dance with it to help professional performing artists. To this day, my thirst for that knowledge remains unquenched.

I have known I wanted to help people since I was in kindergarten. My initial dream was to be a Power Ranger and fight for those who could not fight for themselves, that is until I saw that a career as a pediatrician meant more access to toys-- every 7-year old’s dream! That dream then evolved to becoming an architect, an archaeologist, an interior designer, a massage therapist, and ultimately, a chiropractor. I am a firm believer that one must develop a strong base before focusing on anything stylistic. One can’t run before they can walk. One can’t cook a great meal without the proper tools and ingredients. In dance, one can’t execute a split leap without knowing the proper mechanics of the departure, air time, and landing. Just as this is true, one can’t expect to perform any task to their fullest potential with errors in their body alignment. A sturdy foundation always comes first. A career in this field would mean not only helping those who need it but also educating those who may not be aware of what chiropractic care has to offer.