The Chicago Cubs Won The World Series

The Chicago Cubs Won The World Series

What do you say, Chicago?
1

The Chicago Cubs just won the World Series. If you think about it, that has not been said in 108 years! Think about all the history that has happened in the past century, and realize that it was just made again last night.

I have to give credit to both the Chicago Cubs and Cleveland Indians because that was the greatest World Series I have ever seen. I have to admit that I was rooting for the Cubs all postseason, and I hope my family in Chicago is going crazy right now. I may have some bias towards the Cubs, but honestly, that was the greatest World Series I have ever witness. Additionally, I'm sure that Game 7 was the best I will ever see.

This Fall Classic was just incredible, it's one that will go down in the history books for many reasons. Andrew Miller was lights out all through the playoffs, except in Game 7. Addison Russell, a 22-year-old kid, set the Cubs' franchise record for RBI's in a World Series. The Indians had a 22-year-old stud of a shortstop themselves, Fransisco Lindor, who showed how clutch of a ballplayer he is. Kyle Schwarber played in two regular season games and came back to absolutely rake in the opportunities he was given. I could go on and on about how individual players made such an impact on the World Series, but overall it is a team game.

Prior to the playoffs, the Cubs had won three games in a row 18 times. In the postseason, they did it twice against two of the best teams in the entire league. They were down 2 games to 1 against the Dodgers and won three straight to win the NLCS and advance to the World Series. Everyone thought the Cubs were done at that point, that the Dodgers would be the team from the National League in the World Series. Well, they proved the haters wrong. The Cubs did it in even more dramatic fashion in the World Series, coming back from 3 games to 1 to defeat the Indians in Game 7. A final game that will go down in history as one of the best baseball games ever played.

Dexter Fowler became the first player in history to hit a lead-off Home Run in Game 7 of the World Series. Right there, everyone knew it was going to be a special night. After the Indians tied it up at 1-1, the Cubs scored four straight to make it 5-1. It was smooth sailing for the Cubs, as Kyle Hendricks was dominating the Indians line-up and Cory Kluber was5giving up unexpected runs. However, Joe Maddon decided to pull Hendricks in the 5th inning to put in Jon Lester, a very established postseason pitcher, on two days rest. Lester gave up two runs on a wild pitch, which cut the score to 5-3 with plenty of baseball still to be played.

David Ross, who was playing in his last professional baseball game, came into the game to catch for Jon Lester. No one was expecting what he did his first at-bat of the game, not even David Ross himself. He drove a pitch over the centerfield wall to give the Cubs a 6-3 lead. Everyone was going crazy. Jon Lester came back into the game and started shutting down the Indians. After he pitched 3 great innings, the Cubs has four outs left and had their dominant closer coming into the game- Aroldis Chapman.

The score was 6-3, with arguably the best closer in the game now pitching with only needing to get four more outs to secure the World Series win. However, we saw why baseball is the best sport in the world- you can't run out the clock. You have to keep playing. After giving up a run to make it 6-4, Rajai Davis hit what was one of the biggest Home Runs in Game 7 history. He hit a two-run homer to tie it up at 6-6 in the bottom of the 8th inning. It was finally a tie game. After shutting each other down in the 9th, it was time to go to extras. But the baseball Gods were not ready for the game to end.

The grounds crew brought out the tarp. It was a rain delay, only delaying the greatest World Series game I have ever seen. In the top of the 10th inning, the Cubs rallied and scored 2 runs to take an 8-6 lead. Chicago was three outs away from winning the World Series, but the game was not over. After getting two quick outs, it looked like the Indians were just about done. They weren't though, and eventually, they got the tying run to the plate. However, this time the Cubs would prevail. A weak grounder to Kris Bryant, and it was all over. The Cubs were World Series Champions after 108 years of waiting. It was sad to see the game end, but it truly was a Fall Classic.

Go Cubs, Go. Hey, Chicago, what do you say, the Cubs are World Series Champs.