If The Characters from 'The Great Gatsby' Were Millennials

#ALittleParty

426

F. Scott Fitzgerald's "The Great Gatsby" continues to inspire readers since its publishing in 1925. Fitzgerald's flowery language describes the glamourous life of 1920s New York City. "The Great Gatsby" illustrates the gap between the rich and the poor with brutal honesty while explaining the dangers of living in the past. The characters featured in this novel are among the most interesting and beautifully flawed in literature. If "The Great Gatsby" was based on millennials in 2017, here's how I would picture the characters.

Nick Carraway

Nick was a journalism major at West Egg Community College, where he wrote news articles and short stories for the school newspaper. His parents hoped he would be an actuary or an accountant, but he insisted on following his dreams. After graduation, he lives at home and has an internship at the local newspaper. He hopes to move out and get an apartment when he gets hired, but until then he's an EIC for the Odyssey and is working on a novel based on the life of someone he met in college.

Daisy Buchannan

Daisy broke up with her high school sweetheart when she met Tom Buchannan at East Egg University, where she majored in fashion design, rushed Alpha Omnicron Pi, and worked part-time at Ulta. After all, she would rather date a rich football player who went to the same school as her than a poor community college student who didn't even declare a major yet. Tom proposed to Daisy on the football field during their senior homecoming game. She can be found on Instagram and YouTube, where she's internet famous for creating makeup tutorial videos.

Tom Buchannan

Tom was the star quarterback and captain of East Egg University's football team. He and Daisy dated all four years, but there were rumors floating around that he cheated on her the whole time. Tom was drafted to the NFL right after graduation, and obviously he has to travel a lot for games. Although they're engaged, Tom is trying to convince Daisy to try an open relationship. Needless to say, Daisy is not thrilled about it, but Tom doesn't let her stop him from seeing his side chick.

Jordan Baker

Jordan was a basketball player at East Egg University who was accused of steroid use. After being kicked off the team and losing her athletic scholarships, she began partying and drinking more frequently. As a result, her GPA sunk too low, and she lost her academic scholarships. She transferred to West Egg Community College, changed her major from exercise science to political science, and will start a legislative assistant internship after graduation.

Myrtle Wilson

Myrtle graduated summa cum laude from East Egg University and earned a degree in law. There, she met Tom Buchannan and always had a crush on him. When he and Daisy became engaged, she settled for Wilson, who was an engineering major but dropped out for academic and financial reasons. Because Myrtle was just hired at a law firm and Wilson can't keep a job, she pays the rent on their apartment by herself. She's starting to believe she's too good for Wilson and deserves someone more rich and educated. When Tom and Daisy sneak away from their respective SOs, they hit up the clubs in another part of town where no one will recognize them and spill their secret.

Jay Gatsby

Gatsby and Daisy were high school sweethearts who tried to stay together when they went to different colleges, but Daisy met Tom and the rest is history. Gatsby could never get over Daisy, so he double majored in business and economics at West Egg Community College, and became the protagonist of his own rags to riches story to impress the girl who left him. Now Gatsby is the owner of the Green Light Nightclub. Because the club has thousands of followers on Twitter and #GreenLightIsLit and #ALittleParty are trending, he's certain Daisy will go show up someday and rekindle their love.