Constant Change Means Constantly Adapting

Its been a year since the COVID-19 pandemic required us to return home for the safety & wellbeing of students, faculty, and our families. Since then we have gone through more changes then we ever though we could, adapting to the best of our abilities to keep us and our loved ones healthy.

30

Right now, I'm sure everyone's SnapChat memories are showing our final moments at Rutgers before it became apparent that everyone would not be able to return for the rest of the semester. I know my memories are showing friends, laughter, and all the fun that a college girl could have at school. But, things are different now. Its been a year, way beyond the two weeks that Rutgers initially gave us, and it seems like every month something needs to give.

At first it was finishing an amazing in-person semester online. Then it became postponing vacation plans and completing remote internships (if you were lucky enough). Whatever those murder hornets were. This crazy cold weather that we have been experiencing, in Texas particularly. A entire year that has been focused on remote learning and Zoom University rather than the in-person classes we all miss.

Those are only some of the things that we've had to adapt to. But as students, these have been the biggest obstacles in our lives. Although we have adapted and made sacrifices for the better good and the health of the nation, that does not mean we do not resent all of the changes that we've had to make.

I know for me, as a junior in college, I am struggling. I've had to make changes and decisions that I never expected. I've needed to adapt to learning online because despite not having to walk in 14 degree weather, I am not retaining any information. I've had to adapt to the changes in getting work experience to build up my resume during a time that is critical for my growth and performance. I've had to adapt family practices and traditions because COVID has meant that I am not able to see loved ones in person. The list can go on.

And I'm sure all of your lists are just as long, if not longer.

While we are all taught that change is important to life and growth as individuals, this pandemic has showcased that more than ever. Things have been constantly changing whether we like it or not. As students and young adults in life, we have been required to take everything thrown our way with a grain of salt. We've needed to adapt to the situation and move on. Our lives are very different now compared to how they were progressing a year ago. We are different now. The constant change has meant constantly adapting for the better.