Change The World With Your Values And Volunteer

The world needs more people who aren't in it for money.
31

As a college freshman, I have thrived off of naps in between my classes. The usual Monday, Wednesday, Friday consists of me waking up five minutes before my 8:00 AM and then going back to my dorm and sleeping until my 1:00 AM.

This spell was broken a couple of Mondays ago by my beautifully-driven Kappa Delta sister, Kennedy. She and I, along with another sister Annie, went for breakfast at the cafe, where she asked if I wanted to join them in going to the animal shelter. I agreed, thinking we were just going to stop by and they would apply to work there, but quickly found out that they just want to volunteer their time and help the overworked women of the shelter.

We first went into the cat rooms, where tons of stray kittens and older kitties just wanted love and attention. There was even a sign on the door saying "Warning: I will climb on you!" After loving on many cats who needed good homes, we went into the back to walk dogs after they ate breakfast.

Exactly like the cats, they only wanted love and attention and enjoyed being able to stretch their legs in the sun, instead of being cooped up in a small kennel.

Many of the strays, both cats and dogs, were ill, or had physical disabilities due to being homeless and on the streets. Being able to make them happy and feel loved is something that made the rest of my day one of the best in a while. Volunteering is something that I love to do, but being one on one with battered animals who needed help was truly an enlightening experience.

If you have the time and effort to put into volunteering, not only at animal shelters but hospitals, preschools, nursing homes, etc., please do. The world needs more people who aren't in it for money, but for the kindness of their hearts.

Change the world with your values, and lead others while you do so, you won't regret it.