Change Moves Like An Ocean

Just like an ocean's waves, change can come unexpectedly and rapidly. We as humans resist the idea of change out of fear of future outcomes. It is in our nature to stay content with who we live with and where we are at. When it feels like everything around you is changing at once it can be overwhelming.

Just like American Singer Jimmy Dean stated, "I can't change the direction of the wind, but I can adjust my sails to always reach my destination." There are going to be times where you will feel like you are not all there. You will zone out during a class or at work and think about how things used to be. You might uncontrollably tear up at the thought of missing a friend, family member or a place. You will become angry at the fact that some things are now out of your control. You might feel like you are stuck underwater but are unable to swim.

When you are underwater you might feel like you cannot breathe, but you certainly can with the proper equipment. Take a look around because there is so much beauty under the surface. Things will look differently, but there is an opportunity to discover a new array of colors. You will face change multiple times in our college years with moving, jobs and academics, and it will be difficult. You will experience emotional, physical and spiritual change as well. It is not the situations that you are in that have an effect on us, but rather your attitudes towards those situations. Try to identify the positives in the new situation when it feels like a negative one.

The best way to cope with change is to allow yourself room to breathe. Even when it feels like you have days where it feels like the waves are continually holding you under every time you try to take a breath, it is possible to work around what is holding you back. Sometimes things will change quicker than you can grasp. When it feels like you are starting to drown, take the time to swim to the surface and take a deep breath.

Take a day to do what you love. It is okay to take a day to sleep in and binge watch Netflix, as long as it does not become a repetitive pattern. It is okay to call out of work to do homework instead or read your favorite book. Socrates once wisely said, "the secret of change is to focus all of your energy not on fighting the old, but on building the new." An ocean's waves are constantly moving forward. Be like the ocean and keep moving forward. Talk to people who are going to build you up and provide great advice.

No one said that it would be easy, but through difficulty comes progress, and through progress comes change; and more often than not change is an exceptional part of life.