I Catfished Men Online To See If They Would Be Rude To Me

Spoiler alert: a few of them were.

99
Spandas Lui

Last week, my dear friend and roommate, Taylor, brought this article to my attention. The article was written by a user with the screen name, Milo, from Breitbart.com, and, if you don't feel like reading the entire article, I'll summarize it for you: Milo suggests that the solution to eliminating online harassment of women is to ban women from the internet altogether. To quote Milo, "Women are screwing up the internet for men by invading every space we have online and ruining it with attention seeking and a needy, demanding, touchy-feely form of modern feminism that quickly comes into conflict with men's natural tendency to be boisterous, confrontational, and delightfully autistic."

Basically, Milo is saying that, on the internet, the phrase, "boys will be boys," is the golden rule. Men will do as they please on the internet, and women shouldn't come along and ruin it for them by demanding to be treated with respect. Even if it means that, online, men call women derogatory names and threaten their safety... Boys will be boys, right? Women should just stop being so sensitive! It's not like their safety is being threatened. Women take out all the fun of demanding "tit pics" and then slut-shaming immediately after said "tit pic" is received when they come into the inherently male-owned internet and suggest that maybe they never wanted to be asked for a "tit pic" anyway...

Okay. Enough sarcasm. I couldn't believe Milo's article was not satire... I mean, he even lists Donald Trump as an alpha male... There was just too much that screamed, "Don't take me seriously!" Unfortunately, however, Milo was being dead serious.

Reading his article made me think, "Well, Milo says that online harassment of women isn't even harassment at all. Women are just too sensitive to the natural way that men behave online. Maybe men don't really harass women on the internet for no reason."

So, I did what any normal person would do, and I made a fake OkCupid account that I used to talk to men I didn't know in order to see how they would respond to me turning down their sexual advances. Would they genuinely say hurtful things to me, or was I overreacting and stopping boys from being boys? I'm going to give every man a fake name so as to not reveal his identity.

1. Tad

Okay, so this one was particularly hilarious because after the conversation, he deleted his account. Then, a few days later, he made a different account with the same profile picture, messaged me the conversation in the second picture, and then deleted THAT account. As you can see, the fact that I am a female on the internet surprisingly did not stop me from keeping my cool, although "get a life," and "love yourself," aren't too offensive. Let's keep going.

2. John

Yep. Here I am, minding my own business, not asking for anything sexual from this random dude at all, and yet he still finds a way into my inbox. I respectfully tell him that I want no part of this situation, he says goodbye, I bid him farewell. Yet again, I will remind you that my ~offended lady brain~ still somehow didn't cause me to overreact and become hurt. Just a little annoyed. Let's look at one more.

3. Mr. Straight-Up-Douchebag VII

In a part of the conversation that is not pictured, I ask him why it mattered to him whether or not male genitalia has ever been near me, and he never responded, so... Let me also just add that, once again, I did not get offended. Just really, really confused and creeped out.

In summary:

Boys will be boys on the internet. Sometimes that means they will be well-mannered and normal. Sometimes that means that they will act like complete hyper-sexual serial killers. No matter the man's online persona, women have every right to be on the internet, too. If you're a man, woman, or non-identifying person - I don't care how you identify - if you start digging into my personal life for answers that not even my family physician needs to know, I definitely have every right to call you out on your excessively strange behavior.

Let it also be known that none of these men threatened my safety. I got lucky. According to Time Magazine, "Justice Department records reveal that 70 percent of those stalked online are women."

So, yeah, women tend to get more upset than men online. But it's because we make up a whopping 70 percent of the online harassment victims!

However, I would like to add that, out of all of the conversations I had as a fake girl named Bayleigh on OkCupid, a vast majority of them were polite and well-intended. So, no, not all men are horrible, but right now, we're talking about the ones that are.

I'd like to end with a quotation from Milo's article:

"The internet can’t cope any more with such strenuous tension between the sexes. I mean, there’s a reason that male golfers don’t compete against female golfers. They’re in a league of their own, and it would end in tears. It’s time to apply this logic to the online world."

He's right. Women should leave the internet. We'll start our own, and, since men online keep begging for the pictures of us, meet-ups with us, sexual chats with us, and even our personal information that they want so badly that they'll make two separate accounts just to get it out of us, once we're gone, they'll be the ones in tears.