5 Reasons Why "Casual Relationships" Should Not Be A Thing

"We're just talking," yeah well you've been talking for 5 months and haven't gone anywhere but in a circle...

528
College Times

Millennials kill me. Yes I’m one of them but for real y’all need less Adderall and more common sense. I’m not quite sure how, but having a relationship that isn’t a relationship but still has all the expectations of being in a relationship is just as confusing and pointless as it sounds. Call me old fashioned, but I think actual relationships with titles are a good thing.

There are a lot of excuses for why putting a title on a relationship is like, the worst thing ever and it will somehow magically condemn you. It won’t. I promise you. It will actually benefit you more than hurt you. Please excuse me as I word vomit some unsolicited relationship advice.

1. You’re going to have the same feelings with or without a title.

Labeling or not labeling someone as your significant other is not going to change whether or not you break rule #1 and catch the dreaded feelings. If you are spending a bulk amount of time with someone, and have any level of intimacy (head out of the gutter people this is PG), feelings are going to develop by human nature. A title will not change this.

2. You leave multiple doors open to get hurt.

Just because you do not have a title will not protect you from getting hurt, it may actually make you more likely to get hurt in the long run. If you are not exclusive, you can both do anything you want-- you owe each other nothing from my view. You aren’t dating, so why shouldn’t you kiss someone cute at a party? Or why can’t you go on that date? There is no reason why you can’t, so do it. If exclusivity is not defined you’re free to do whatever it is you do. If the other person gets upset, well tough luck friend you left that door wide open.

3. A form of a breakup can still happen.

Just because you aren’t dating does not mean you can avoid a break up. If you have been basically dating someone without a title, and you’re just like, so over them (hair flip z-snap), you’re still going to have to tell them you don’t want to keep things going. So trying to avoid a breakup is an invalid excuse, not sorry.

4. You don’t want people to know.

Okay, this one is just straight up dumber than rocks. Why would you want to be with someone without others knowing? If you’re embarrassed then that’s a good enough reason not to be with them. If someone will be mad at you for it then screw them or maybe you should question your own judgment. Be real and be honest, it will get you to way cooler places than the friend zone.

5. Above all else, you deserve more.

Homie you need to realize your own worth. You deserve someone who will be so proud to call you their’s, to show you off and someone who will be like “hell yeah they’re mine”. You shouldn’t have to be the Thursday-Sunday hookup-- no no no, you deserve more. However it starts with you, you need to realize your own worth before others can, so if anything do it for you.