Cardinals are Flying High

Cardinals are Flying High

The Arizona Cardinals hire first Female Coach in NFL History

3
Cardinals are Flying High

The Arizona Cardinals have hired the first female coach in National Football League history.

On Monday, Dr. Jen Welter, former rugby player at Boston college, was introduced as an assistant coaching intern for training camp this preseason and will be working with the inside linebackers for the Cardinals.

Although Welter is new to the NFL, she isn't new to the game of football. Welter played 14 seasons in women's pro football and was also the first woman to ever play a non-kicking position in a men's pro league where she was a running back for the Texas Revolution of Indoor Football League. She also was a part of the Dallas Diamonds of Women’s Football Alliance where she played linebacker for more than 14 years and lead the team to four championships during her time.

“I want little girls everywhere to grow up knowing they can do anything, even play football," said Welter last year on NBC's TODAY.

Welter, 37, has a master’s degree in sports psychology and a Ph.D. in psychology. She has also won Olympic gold-medals with team USA in the international Federation of American football women's world championships in 2010 and 2013, according to NBCNEWS.com. With all of her experience, there is no question that she is capable of doing this job and being taken serious.

"Coaching is nothing more than teaching," Head coach Bruce Arians said Monday. "The one thing I've learned from players: All they want to know is: How [are] you going to make me better? And if you can make me better, I don't [care] if you're the green hornet. I'll listen. "

The players are excited and ready for the season to start. Defensive back for the Arizona Cardinals Patrick Peterson took to Twitter in support of Jen Welter being hired saying “one team, one goal! Let's go to work, coach."

Welter has now joined Becky Hammon, recent NBA summer league champion, among the small group of women's professional coaches and major men's league sports.