I Had To Cancel My Wedding Because Of COVID-19, And It Was Heartbreaking

I Had To Cancel My Wedding Because Of COVID-19, But In The End, It Will Only Make Us Stronger

I'm heartbroken, but our love is stronger than ever.

1265

I got legally married in February of 2018, but we wanted to wait a little bit to throw an actual wedding ceremony and reception. Thanks to the military, we were scheduled to move to Hawaii at the end of June (which has now changed). Since we were supposed to move 3,000+ miles away, we decided we might as well have our ceremony and reception before we left.

That gave me about 4 months to plan an entire wedding, which usually takes a year to do.

After long nights of searching for a dress, venue, etc. I finally had it all planned out.

The deposit was down on the venue, we had done our venue tour, we finally got the whole guest list and sent out invitations, life was good.

Our wedding was supposed to take place on May 22, 2020. I was so excited to have all of my friends and family in one place before we moved to our new home. Then COVID-19 happened.

COVID-19 affected not only our wedding but the military as well. My husband's base set a "travel restriction" in place, limiting soldiers to a certain amount of miles they can travel from the base. Needless to say, our wedding venue was outside of that radius by 10-20 miles.

With no radius extension in sight, we had no choice but to postpone the wedding.

After the second time we changed the date of the wedding, and nothing improving, we decided to just cancel it overall.

This was heartbreaking for me because I put so much time and effort into the whole planning process. Collecting addresses for invites was not an easy task at all. We decided to have a wedding with only our immediate family in early September on a beach in Hawaii, but due to restrictions in that state and our move being postponed until after that, we had to cancel that plan as well.

Yeah, it really sucks I won't get my dream wedding with my family AND friends around in my home state of Colorado, BUT there is a silver lining to it.

We will have a wedding at some point, and it will be in what most people consider "paradise." No, it won't be big like it had originally been planned, but we will have our parents and siblings there with us to celebrate. Once this pandemic blows over, which it will at some point, we will still be able to celebrate our marriage.

Until then, our love only grows stronger and we only grow closer, and that's all that really matters.

Follow Swoon on Instagram.