11 Life Lessons Learned From Traveling The World

Thirteen countries and seven states later, here are some tips when traveling the world.

4
Baan Chang

1. Be prepared for surprises!

Whether it's traveling across a single country like America or traveling the world (like the many times that I have had to travel from America to Thailand for over 24 hours), you will most likely meet unexpected surprises, good or bad. One example of this was when me and some friends travelled from New York to Harrisburg PA, our trip quickly turned complicated when our bus stop in rural Pennsylvania was delayed by three hours and the bathrooms power would go out unexpectedly! Don't fear the unexpected because sometimes you just have to take a breather and recollect yourself whilst seeing what can be done, but know that plans aren't always as straightforward as we’d like them to be when we are travelling.

2. Pack lightly

I am not one to speak to this as I certainly don't pack light in general! Yet I have learnt slowly that I don't need to pack my whole life in a bag for two weeks because I will be coming back. Try and pack enough but remember that in a growingly globalized world you will most likely be able to buy a toothbrush or a torch if you really need one.

3. No camera days

One of the most important lessons I have learnt about seeing monuments and stunning scenery around the world is that sometimes a camera really can't give it proper justice! I remember seeing the sun set over the highlands in Scotland and spotting Ben Nevis (the tallest mountain in the UK) covered in the clouds and being beyond amazed at the beauty. I grabbed my little green camera and angled it up against the window to see the mountain. Looking at the photos afterwards I saw a mountain that looked like something that was not the same, the humongous, beautiful, details of the jagged, steep slopes ahead of me couldn't be captured with a camera. It’s great to have memories, but sometimes the best memories are those seen with your eyes and heart not a screen.

4. Eating different cuisines

A great part about going to a new country is involving yourself in their culture, obviously a one week trip is only going to give you a very small glimpse, but it doesn't mean that you shouldn't try to involve yourself in at least some aspects of what you are seeing around you. Eating some more traditional delicacies from that country is a perfect way to immerse yourself. Me and my family like to either ask friends we know in the country what or where we should eat, or just go and see where the locals are going.

5. Be organized

Don't arrive on Wednesday evening and plan what you're going to do for the next week or where you're going to stay when you arrive off the plane the day your flying. Honestly experience has helped me to realize that last minute planning is never a good idea. If you are traveling (especially to a new country) have your hotels, transport, money, currencies and safety procedures in place so you save yourself headaches when you’re there.

6. Make the most of your time

I’am currently sat writing this article in a Canadian hotel room in the middle of a small town. The atmosphere around here is lovely, friendly and relaxing, me and my family took today to relax and just look around the local area. We could very easily do this for the remaining days we’re here yet we did not road trip all the way down from PA to relax in close proximity to where we're staying. We came to see Canada and that's what we want to do, so the rest of the time we're here we’re going to see nearby friends, and explore the city and local restaurants so that we get more of a taste of the lovely Canada that we are starting to see.

7. Travel wisely

As young ladies me and my sister have learnt to be particularly careful as young tourists in different countries especially after wanting to explore an area close to our hotel in Malaysia, and finding it not the best idea in the world (we were staying in brickfields, for my Malaysian readers;)). If you're not sure be very aware of your surroundings and try and ask trustworthy locals or even the internet, tripadvisor can be a pretty reliable source! Its also a good idea to know emergency service numbers and where the nearest hospital and police stations are.

8. See everything as an experience

When I was about 16 we went to Australia and traveled all the way down the East coast over a matter of weeks. The experience was amazing overall and I wouldn't hesitate to go back yet there were a fair amount of times when we got stuck in airports, and found that there was no public transport to our hotel or got lost in a national park right before closing time! Negative circumstances can be easily turned into something that could easily ruin a trip, but staying positive and remembering that you will laugh at the situation, or at least have a story to tell can sometimes be the best way to approach the situation.

9. Remember you're on their ground

I have had multiple people tell me about different traveling experiences that they have had over the years and a good few of them have included bad reviews of the people of the country themselves! Now some rude representatives of a country can be off putting but remember that stereotyping a whole nation on a few people who got out of the wrong side of bed isn't fair. As a guest of someone else's country it's always good to be humble and ask, or to at least try and think about why certain nationalities act the way they do, even if it is annoying or unique.

10. Sounding or looking different is ok

When me and my family get together to travel together we often get many stares. Often I find it's because a bunch of British/Thai people either talking in Tinglish or bantering away in thick British accents is quite bemusing to those around us. I used to be ashamed but actually now even when the stares seem to be in disgust I smile back, maybe they just wonder why you are in their country.

11. Take away the good the bad and the ugly

Every person you met, every place you visited and everything you ate gave you a glimpse of a new area or country and you should hold onto everything you experienced because it can show you the world! Whether it's eating jellyfish at a Christmas party or sprinting away from a kangaroo about to kick punch my little brother cowering in my arms, I try to learn and remember a little part of the places I have been to. After all we have all lived different lives and grown up with different circumstances, and it can help you relate so much more when you see just how different but similar the world is.