11 Pros And Cons Of Campus Living

11 Pros And Cons Of Campus Living

Living on campus isn't "American Pie!"

47
11 Pros And Cons Of Campus Living
Jennifer Sikora

Living on a college campus is the most amazing, party-filled experience ever! Well, maybe on "American Pie." Living on campus has its pros and cons, from roommates to your college experience in general. It is a great way to have a feel of independence, but it sure does open your eyes to other things!

1. Roommates

Roommates make or break living on campus! Whether it is a one room dorm or a four bedroom apartment, roomies are everything! If your roommates do not talk or do not interact with you, living with them can be boring and lonely, even a little awkward! However, if you have awesome roommates, then it will be an awesome living experience. Talking, playing video games together, double dating - it will make college fun! Having a rough day and being able to come back to a good friend to talk to and relax with is a major pro. But, roommates that do not interact are a major con!

2. Sharing bathrooms

Sharing a bathroom can be a major con. Sharing a shower space and a toilet with someone you do not even know can be really gross. Random hairs everywhere, someone stealing pumps of your shampoo, not knowing who should clean the toilet. The only pro is if the person you're sharing with is clean.

3. Small living space

No matter what type of college living is offered, it will be small. That is a major con. However, on the pro side, it will help you keep organized! Decide if you really need everything you buy, because there will be no space for it back at your dorm.

4. Neighbors

If you live downstairs, then you have to deal with the annoying people upstairs who sound like a herd of rhinos. However, if you are the herd of rhinos upstairs, then you have to deal with walking up and down and in the warm weather, living upstairs is melting hot. No matter what, it is a pro and a con.

5. Cost

Living on campus can be very costly. Luckily, it is all included, so you don't have to pay for the gas bill or for WiFi. Also, it cuts down of driving since most things are in walking distance. Walking is a pro because it is great exercise! Unless it is raining or in the snow, then it is not too much of a pro.

6. Parties!

Just kidding. Living on campus housing is very strict, despite if you're 21 or not. Most campuses are dry, which means no alcohol at all, and are smoke-free. Some dorms have a curfew, others do not. There are RA's, who are in charge of making sure every one follows the rules and walk around and check to make sure! So, if you are wanting to live the life of Stifler, then you will be disappointed.

7. Distance

Living on campus gives most a taste of independence and living away from their families. This can be a major pro for some people. It is a chance to get away from a helicopter mom or a scary, strict dad. Being able to live on your own and make your own rules allows you to grow and learn what it takes to be an adult. However, if you're really close to your family, it might be really hard living away from your family and not being able to see them as often as you always have.

8. No Pets

No pets allowed. Unless, of course, it is a service animal. So this is a major con. Fish are allowed in most dorms, but no dogs or cats. Being away from your cat, Fluffles, or dog, George, can be very heartbreaking. There is no way around this con because if you try to sneak in your pet, you can be charged a hefty fee or be kicked out of housing.

9. Roommate's friends

Your roommates may have other friends or a boyfriend/girlfriend. A pro: you like their friends or partner and just add to the fun. The con is if you end up not being able to get along with their other friends or partner. Then, it will be a huge annoying cycle!

10. Food

A major con, people eating your food!! Using your butter, using your milk, eating your leftover pizza! World War III will break out! Even though you put your name on it, it won't stop someone from eating it! A pro is when food is made or given out for anyone to eat -like when your roomie shares their pizza or makes cupcakes! Yum!

11. Community building

Normally there is a community building where you can find board games, music, pool tables, vending machines and so on. So if you're ever bored and do not have money to go out somewhere, it is a cool place to hang out! Also, those who live on campus normally have fun things to do, like movie nights, dances and other fun things to do to meet others! It can be a con if you do not like doing things.