To Camp Chipinaw: For The Friendships, The Sisters, The Laughs, The Tears, and The Love.

A goodbye that came too soon

1014
https://odysseyimages.s3.amazonaws.com/cropped_HyQcJz_8M.jpeg

My journey began at Camp Chipinaw when I was 8 years old. I always stood in awe as my sister got on the camp bus, and got off 8 weeks later, tanner, happier, and more mature. I really didn't have the decision to go to sleep away camp, it just happened. As I received my email from camp of all the girls in my division for our first summer, I quickly emailed each and every one of them, trying to learn as much as an 8 year old wanted to know about a friend. "Do you have any pets?" "Whats your favorite song?" "Do you have AIM?" I still have all of these emails, questioning why I told people that I am a singer, and love hamsters. The day finally arrived after calling everyone I had become close AIM friends with, asking them what outfit they were going to wear to the bus. I chose to wear a long tank top and capris. Classic. Saying goodbye to my parents wasn't hard, as I was an overly outgoing 8 year old ready to have myself a summer. Boy was I wrong, for the moment. The boy I sat next to on the bus threw candy at me, crying that he wanted to get off on the highway because it was his moms birthday. I was confused, annoyed, and ready to get the f*** off the bus. Little did I know, that was the start to 10 of the best summers of my entire life.

10 summers. I can't explain enough the love I have for those 10 summers. 

Camp teaches you how to love, how to really love. Whether it was falling in love with the Chrystal blue sky, the stars at night, the morning dew, the cold lake, or the spiders hanging from the ceiling from the top bunk, nothing else compared. I was taught to live everyday with a group of 8 girls that are still currently my best friends. We laughed, pranked each other, peed on each others floors (or was that just me?), taught each other how to put tampons in, fought over who's boobs were growing first, watched as we all had our first kisses, and of course, ate A LOT of chocolate chip pancakes. 

I really do owe it to camp for showing me the true meaning of friendship. We didn't have phones for 8 weeks, woah, right. But it didn't bother us at all. Our heads were looking straight, and our minds were focused on the days ahead of us. From sports, to electives there never was a dull moment. Every single activity at camp felt like a luxury. You were surrounded by your best friends doing what you loved. And if anything taught you who you were growing up, it was sleep away camp.

I found myself as a extrovert at camp. I forced my camp friends to do the talent shows with me, bouncing my big balled stomach at the crowd, hoping for a few laughs, and of course, a good time. I found myself as a leader. Taking color war positions, and trying my best to lead my division, I found myself never trying to follow anyone else. I found myself as a writer at camp. Whether I was writing stupid songs about everyone in my bunk, or in my later years, writing alma maters, marches and cheers, I really did find my love for writing at camp. I looked up to the girls who wrote the songs that will be forever imprinted in my mind, only hoping to one day write a song that meaningful and monumental. I found myself at camp, wandering under the night sky whenever I needed a realizaition that life was beautiful, but understanding that nothing could be as beautiful as those moments. 

I owe it to my sisters, the ones I started with, gained, and ended with. I owe it to you guys for shaping me into the person I am today. For always making me feel home, in a place where I only lived for 2 months. For the Saturday barbecues where we sat in a circle, discussing our weeks, and what was to come. For the dances where you did my hair and make up, and tried to get me a boy. For being there when we missed our parents, animals, and home in general. For making me laugh till I cried. For allowing me to be my true, wacky self. For every thunderstorm that you allowed me to sleep in your beds with you. For not yelling at me for being messy, but making me learn how to clean. For being genuinely happy for me, in a world where jealousy overtakes happiness. For being my best friends, the ones who always had my back. (quite literally @sarahsutnick making sure I didn't get in trouble for kissing in the canteen bathrooms)

But above all else, I owe it to camp. I owe it to your night skies for showing me beauty. To our counselors that showed me what a friend was. To color war, for teaching me how to be competitive, but in a good way, and showing me that there are always people to look up to, people you should strive to be. To early morning wake up calls, never letting us get too lazy. To 8 weeks surrounded by laughter and love, without the use of technology. To understanding me, in a way that nothing else, and no one else could.

To the best 10 summers of my life, I owe my childhood to you. 

"Here comes the start of every lonely night, the first of every tear were gonna cry. As days go by, were wishing we could never leave, red and grey are in our hearts to stay, but here comes goodbye. Why do we have to wait till skies are blue, so we can come back here, and be home with you. We fear goodbye."