5 Ways To Calm Yourself Down When You Have Anxiety

You Can Do Anything

82
Tumblr

As long as I can remember, I've had fairly bad anxiety. I've always been nervous and anxious about things that I really have no reason to be nervous or anxious about. I have not perfected my anxiety by any means, but I am trying to work on it and better understand it more. Since I have had it for so long, I have found certain techniques that work better than others. I will share these with you in the hopes that if you have anxiety as I do, you can hopefully think about these things and maybe calm yourself a little bit.

1. Think Good Thoughts

I know this is the hardest thing in the world to do when you're anxious. It's hard to think of good thoughts when nothing seems to be going right, but at least you could try. Think of a happy memory, or something you have to look forward to. Think of your favorite food or something funny your pet did the other day. The best part is, when you think good thoughts you're most likely to laugh or smile which will immediately bring your spirits up.

2. Reward Yourself

Always, always, always remember to reward yourself even when you do little things. Even though other people may not think what you accomplished is a big deal, it will be a big deal to you. So, do little things to reward yourself when you accomplish something you were anxious about, and keep telling yourself how you will get that reward when it's over. If you were anxious at work, reward yourself with a bath when you get home. If you're anxious about having to drive somewhere, reward yourself with some food from your favorite restaurant.

3. Talk to People You Trust

This is a big one, although it's hard for some people. Talking always helps at least a little bit when it's from someone you trust. If you voice your worries or why you're feeling anxious, at least that person will know you're anxious and will hopefully try and do what they can to help, even if that's just giving you advice or reassurance. You could talk to your family, significant other, a therapist, your pet, or even just write it down. Just letting your feelings out can really help.

4. Use Natural Remedies

There's a lot of things that can cause anxiety, and there's a lot of natural ways to try to prevent it. For instance, if you start to feel anxious or know you may feel anxious that day, you could drink chamomile tea, put some lavender oil on your wrists and under your ears, take fish oil pills, or even exercise and a good diet has been known to decrease stress levels. I also take Rescue Remedy, which is an all natural oil made with herbs that does a very good job of calming me down.

5. Breathe

I know this seems extremely obvious, but whenever I feel anxious and I remember to breathe, it really helps me. I breathe in through my nose for four seconds, and then out through my mouth for another four seconds. I'm always surprised how much calmer I feel when I just breathe.

Lastly, and most importantly, find comfort in knowing that you're not alone. Everyone gets anxious sometimes, some more than others, but there's always someone to turn to, someone that understands what you're going through, and someone that wants to help.