BYOB: Bring Your Own Body

BYOB: Bring Your Own Body

Forget a beach body, how about your own?

153
BYOB: Bring Your Own Body
unsplash.com

The word beach body seems to be popular around this time of year. And I may be the only person who is not a fan of the word, or idea behind it, but I've seen enough articles to be worried. So this summer I've decided to start using the following: bring your own body. And while I'm aware it can be used for alcohol, it still fits.

Where do I start?

Well, it seems like people treat the beach as a place with some set rules.

. Don't jump on children's sandcastles or creations

. Keep your music to an acceptable volume

. Don't be naked unless it is specified as a nude beach

. Be aware of how much room you need to play games

. Watch your kids and whoever else you are responsible for

The rules above seem pretty reasonable, as well as no glass on the beach, depending on your location. But there's one that shouldn't be a rule. While there isn't a bullet for it, I believe it is unsaid by many, or rudely and inconsiderately said.

. Certain styles require a beach body

This is not to insult anyone who works out or does a lot to better themselves. That's great. But not everyone, even with the work, will look like someone might think is idle. For this reason, I say that the beach is getting whatever body I give it.

My body is not without some fat, muscle, and stray hairs, and I'm okay with that. I try to be healthy and work out, but I'm also responsible for a lot of other things right before summer hits. These responsibilities sometimes mess with my efforts, and sometimes my own genetic and mental state intervenes as well. But I try.

So the beach is getting my rectangular self with a small butt and some slightly noticeable bumps on my chest. But I'll still have the body acne, sunburn, and poof of hair as well.

Don't feel like you have to look perfect to go and have fun at the beach. If you have stretch marks that is okay. And so what if you have a stomach, almost everyone has one when they sit.

So, how you get the perfect beach body?

1. Get your beach stuff

2. Go to the beach

3. Have fun and use sunscreen

Be safe and take care of yourself this summer. And, yes, this does include sunscreen. Let judgemental people make themselves miserable. Just don't be a creep.