It's OK To Have A Busy Lifestyle, But You Need To Take Care Of Yourself

You're going to have a hard time getting things done if your body is lacking energy and sleep.

10

I'm a person who likes to stay busy. While sitting around can be fun from time to time, I tend to become restless and feel guilty after too much of it. I feel as if I'm wasting prime opportunities to learn new things, expand/develop my skill set, and make meaningful relationships with other people.

When it comes to giving me a constant structure, school can come in handy to keep me active. However, having a lot on one's plate also has its downsides (due to things I absolutely have to do as well as things I chose to take on). This term was difficult to schedule between signing up for classes I need and making sure I had times where I could work about 20 hours a week. One of the daily problems I face is making sure I'm eating three meals a day.

Most of my classes fall during the lunch hours and some days I'm eating breakfast as early as 6:00 am and a late lunch between 3:00-4:00 pm. In order to not pass out in between, I eat small snacks like granola bars and crackers that keep me going, but its sometimes not enough and I end up with hunger headaches and a distinct lack of energy.

The way I view food, one should be able to sit down and enjoy a meal. Not just to enjoy the food you're eating, but to also take a breather where you can take a well-earned break from your responsibilities. I can't say I get this when I stop by home to eat something readily available in five to ten minutes before I have to be out the door again.

I still like being busy, but not when a basic need for survival tends to come as an afterthought. It's the reason why I appreciate my free time whenever I have it. There's nothing wrong with having a busy lifestyle, but please make sure to take care of yourself when you're not juggling paperwork and assignments.