Burning The Electoral Platform

Burning The Electoral Platform

Inspiration to extremism reveals the most deeply-rooted sentiments.

40
Burning The Electoral Platform
DeviantArt

One of the more recent stories of atrocity on behalf of Trump supporters features their torching of a black Christian church in Mississippi.

As if this vandalism didn’t finish the job, and as if no one could guess the presidential candidate that they support, they spray-painted “VOTE TRUMP” onto the side of the building. This stands out now but will likely just perch, largely out of sight, atop the pile of similar instances of riotous and violent courses of action that people, inspired by Donald Trump’s campaign, choose to take. But I hope that it may give pause to some who might not casually set fire to a religious institution.

A presidential election should not cost friends.

I can’t enumerate the number of instances in which the debates or campaign have arisen in conversation and leave me too apprehensive to share my opinion, lest I estrange myself. That’s a tough line to ride: do I surrender democracy or friends? I’m sure that many others have found themselves in similar discomfort. Honestly, however, I think that maintaining friendship is the more favorable option. One of the two major candidates thrives on the divisiveness of this election and has repeatedly stirred the pot with shots fired at his opponent’s character while his own wouldn’t even find home in a putrefying tar pit. The other stresses the necessity of cooperation and synergy in dealing with the problems that we face. If I allow my opinion in this election to define me, then I concede to participation in this binary political civil war, which destroys any opportunity for me to better educate myself on the viewpoints of those who disagree with me – in my opinion, the surest strategy of a fair-minded, well-reasoned citizen.

If you’re a Trump supporter, I recognize that you might not find all of his poorly-articulated policy plans as part of your visualization for the future of this nation. After all, for example, not every Christian goes out to find and slaughter their homosexual friends as per the Bible’s recommendation. I recognize that you’re a person, like me, who lives life with all of its stressors and pressures, and that you have choices of morality to make. I recognize that, until I observe your morality in action, I cannot make an informed judgment on your character; Trump voters are not inherently bad people. Several old friends of mine publicly acclaim The Donald, and I’m not about to overwrite years of history with them, during which time I have come to know and enjoy their companionship, with a stamp on a ballot. But this is often difficult. Given the fervor with which I detest Trump and his intentions, anyone who expressed approval induces a repulsive response. In my postings on Facebook, I’ve had comment-based, incredibly painful conversations with some of these individuals who heatedly argue my points, trying to invalidate my platform. My most honest response goes something like this: “I am exercising my right to free speech to support my favorable candidate. Agree with me and move on, or disagree with me, and either move on or present some evidence to the contrary that we can discuss civilly and without emotional charges. Following whatever may occur, please continue to base your opinion of me on how I have treated you and how you have seen me treat others. Do not forget why you have called me your friend.”

These people who don’t agree with the totality of a platform probably face an appreciable degree of internal conflict when showing support for the person who stands upon it. For instance, what does a Trump supporter who does not favor the deportation of Islamic believers and undocumented immigrants say or do when this issue comes up at a rally? Do they cheer and betray themselves, or do they remain silent? What about Trump’s tendencies to call upon members of his audiences to “beat the crap” out of people whom he finds less than amicable to his perspectives? Doesn’t that motivate people via fear to continue to superficially proclaim his name when they only support a portion of his ideals?

Opposing situations are possible.

I can’t imagine how difficult it must be to support Trump on a liberal college campus such as my own. One word about the election could mean complete ostracism and indifference. And yet, a liberal university, of all places, should provide an environment in which the expression of any trait, belief, or intention is safe and treated with decency. These precarious circumstances that should not be precarious in this country because of its Constitution illustrate the mandatory nature of acceptance and respect for people of all opinions, even those that conflict with our own.

However, even if certain Trump supporters look scornfully upon the people responsible for the burnt church and graffiti, what does it say about the philosophy of his campaign if it motivates people to independently commit this crime? This is the very crux of the matter. If fellow admirers of this candidate act in this way that you find deplorable, is this really a campaign of which you wish to be part? People heed a voice that does not say anything in reality but rather within their minds, treating Trump like God to allow him to guide their actions. You can see it right on the side of the building: they committed a crime and then claimed it in the name of their god. That mirrors zealous religion pretty well from the looks of it. The effective voter views his or her candidate as a leader, not a deity. He does not surrender his own morality to an overlord, and she still knows how to live her life in the best manner possible regardless of the outcome of the election. Although, this time, knowing how to achieve positivity might not be enough; what good is the vision if you’re deported on account of religion?

Vote, and retain your vision.

Vote, and save us.