Are Your Bumble Tags Hurting Your Chances?

The tags tell potential matches what you're looking for but are they too telling?

561
Jenna DeLuca/Bumble

I'll be the first person to confess that most of my recent dating experiences have started online. I've put a lot of thought into what photos to post and how to craft my bio. To be honest, I'd been doing pretty good in the match department... until I chose to answer some of the questions that add appropriate tags to your profile.

These are the tags on my Bumble profile.Bumble

In my case, these tags tell potential matches my height, my sign, etc., just basic information. The part that actually worries me the most are the last two..." looking for a relationship" and "wants kids someday."

When I see a man who's profile has those two tags, I personally think it's refreshing and I feel more inclined to swipe right. But I can't help but wonder if being a woman with those tags makes me look a little too pretentious or even slightly intimidating.

In real life, there's this constant need to conform to what we think men want to hear. There are all of these blurred lines that we are forced to try and abide by. If we want to be in a relationship we can't just say that because we come across as "too serious." If we're in love we can't say it first because then we "care too much." If we even like a person we can't just say it because we have to wait for the man to chase us... there are so many unspoken rules. Any woman can attest to this.

So if those are the rules in real life, are my tags breaking them? Should we as women avoid sharing more telling information on our profiles? Are men, in fact, afraid of getting involved with women who know their goal is to settle down?

The truth is... I personally have no idea but what I do know is that I haven't been matching with as many individuals since the tags had been added to my profile.