buenos aires
Travel

buenos aires

why going somewhere unpopular is the move

181
buenos aires

Compared to New York, referenced as the "Paris" of South America, and filled with a rich cultural ties to Europe, Buenos Aires should be a top visited study abroad destination, but it isn't.

When my parents first learned of my desire to head way down south they had 3 major concerns. "It's too far," "You're too young," and the typical "It's not safe"

Now luckily my parents don't have the stereotypical few of Latin America as my mother is from Guatemala. However, that didn't stop them from recognizing that like many nations, Argentina is a developing nation. That didn't stop them for realizing that Buenos Aires is 4,858 miles away from them. It didn't stop them from realizing that I am only 19 years old and that I just finished my freshmen year. And, that "Gran Buenos Aires" is home to 13 million Argentines. Yet, they realized like I did and being partially Guatemalan that they should not and would not conform to the idea that Latin America wasn't "good enough," 'safe enough" or "rich enough," and for that I will be forever grateful.

When my study abroad office heard of my desire to study in Buenos Aires it was discouraged. I kept hearing "Why don't you look at Spain?" "You can study in various different parts of Spain" and "You know Europe is so popular, you should really look into it." Coming from such a large state university I was really disappointed that if I wanted to study anywhere in South America I would have to enlist the help of a third party, because my school of 34,000 undergraduate students didn't and doesn't offer any programs in Latin America for the Summer.

In large this is to because people allow for the fear of the unknown to stop them... but I beg anyone reading this- please please please explore. I implore you to do the unconventional and don't listen to anyone trying to deter you away from something you want.

Had I listened to my advisors or allowed the initial fears of tackling such a large, costly experience without the guidance of my home university, I would be without a doubt be missing one of the greatest things I have yet to experience and I'm sure that I will ever experience.

if it scares you-- if its not popular-- if its not the cool or "cheto" (Argentine word for cool) place to go - then you should GO.

be a "I can and I will" girl in the world of negative Nancys.

Lastly if you're a parent reading this I beg you to believe in your child and their vision. I beg you to let them live inspired. My parents believe in my intuition, my vision, and my drive to be an independent woman who will not conform to mainstream culture. They trusted that going away would better me. Studying abroad is scary, expensive, and a difficult long process and I do not believe I would be sitting in a cafe in Buenos Aires right now writing this if it weren't for their support, encouragement, and positivity.

go out and explore.... you can and you should.