An Open Letter To My Brothers

An Open Letter To My Brothers

Family by chance, friends by choice.

31
An Open Letter To My Brothers
Robert Gonzales

With thanksgiving being less than a week ago, I started thinking about what/who I'm truly thankful for. The first couple people that come to mind are of course my brothers, Shawn and Ryan. Growing up, we were as close as it gets. We always had our differences in certain situations, but name siblings who haven't. Every day we get older and it's insane realizing how fast we are growing up. Shawn, you just turned 22. Ryan, you're graduating very soon.

Dear Shawn,

You are one of the smartest, caring, and loving person I have ever met. You truly have a heart of gold. I love when you call me to tell me about your day and how things are going at your job. You're beyond special to me. I remember the days where we would play call of duty, clean while listening to Frank Sinatra, and when we were break-dancing at my Bat Mitzvah. I'll never let you live down the fact you had a SpongeBob Squarepants themed bedroom at dads old house. Literally from your bedding, shower curtain, and even the trashcan that was by your desk was that theme. Now you're growing into the adult that I always knew you'd be. I am blessed to call you my older brother. You've always been protective over me, and I'm grateful for that. When you drove with me to drop me off at college, I was low-key holding back tears. The Harry Potter audio books that you nagged me to turn on during the 12 hour drive ended up being something that I ended up enjoying. You were the one who helped me set up my room, carry all my new groceries into my apartment, and made friends with the people who look out for me the most out here. You also forgave me for completely messing up your flight back home, but you got to spend a couple more days with me which was awesome. I love you big brother, and I will always be there for you. We are continuously getting closer and closer, and I cannot wait to see what the future holds for you.

To Ryan:

I can't believe you're a junior in high school. It feels like just yesterday we were walking to Einstein Bagels every Saturday and devouring a toasted chocolate chip bagel with cream cheese. We'd also walk to Starbucks and Subway when we wanted to get lunch when mom wasn't home. Almost every picture of us from when we were little is of us hugging. It is crazy how my little brother who I babied (and still do pretty much) will be off to college before I know it. You and I are two peas in a pod. I am so proud of you for accomplishing so much so far in your life. From placing second at BJJ worlds, making varsity wrestling at your high school, and pulling great grades; you continuously put a smile on my face. You are a true gentleman. I cherish all the times we would go on lunch/ dinner dates, or when you would run an errand with me. Keep doing exactly what you're doing. You make me one happy big sister.

xoxo Madison (Maddie) (Mad) (Madela)