7 Essentials For Any Tailgate

7 Essentials for any Tailgate

We have all been here before; down and out at the raddest and baddest tailgate of the year because you have forgotten just about everything you did not know you would need.

225
7 Essentials for any Tailgate
instagram: @spartanskiclub

Every college student loves a good tailgate. If you are like me and attend Michigan State University, you know what all the hype is about when it comes to tailgating. MSU does it better than the rest. What's our secret? Since all Spartans are oh so humble, I have decided to share some of our secret truths behind a successful tailgating experience.

These seven things are what make Spartans stand out amongst the best of the best tailgate-ers. This is what every Spartan is, or should be, carrying and so should you! Time and time again there is always that one thing you forgot, and that one thing that you told yourself you would bring next time, and that one thing you see everyone else remembers that you forgot, again.

Reading this list will take you from a tailgate novice to a tailgate legend with the help of these tailgating essentials. If Spartans are doing it, shouldn't you be doing it too?

1. Fanny pack LOADED with snacks

This is listed as number one for a reason. It is the most essential, most crucial, life saving, biggest game changer of tailgating known to man. PACK SNACKS. You know you always find yourself extremely famished about two hours into the tailgating extravaganza, so why not do something about? Save your $5 and stop buying that hot and ready you know you don't need and pack a snack instead. My personal favorite: honey roasted peanuts, cheerios, and goldfish. I can guarantee you this will make you the most loved member of the tailgate.

2. NOT your favorite water bottle

First, I would like to take a moment of silence for every Camelbak, Hydro Flask, Contigo, and S'Well water bottle lost to the madness of tailgating. I think it is safe to say we all have that one water bottle we still can not believe we lost. One minute it was there and the next your back at your apartment, made some ramen, slept off your midday hangover, and your water bottle is nowhere to be seen. LEAVE IT AT HOME. I love mother nature, but even she agrees to grab some plastic and go. (But please do actually recycle)

3. When full on fall hits, you need that backup pair of socks

No one said tailgating was easy, especially in Michigan. One day it is a beautiful, sunny October afternoon. Your booze blanket is plenty of warmth for you. Aw snap. Ten minutes went by and now it is a gorgeous rain and sleet mix and the temp has dropped about 25 degrees and you're sopping wet. What's the worst part about being cold and wet? When your feet get cold and wet... Avoid the shock, and grab your socks. You will never be more thankful that you were the weirdo with socks in her pocket until you're the only one with warm and dry feet.

4. Toilet Paper

Yes, you read that right. The first time I saw this trick was by one of my former roommates. She in fact brought single sheets of toilet paper out with us. Now let me tell you, BEST. IDEA. EVER. This one is designed for my fellow girlies. You will be so thankful when you are crouched down, squatted behind a bush, breaking the seal, and you actually have toilet paper to wipe with.

5. Chapstick

By this point in our lives, you would assume we would finally learn and remember the importance of carrying chapstick around with us just about everywhere we go. However, we do not. We never do. It is never on us when we need it most. Throw it in your pocket, your fanny pack, your duffel bag you already started packing for next tailgate to accommodate everything on this list, but wherever it is, PACK YOUR CHAPSTICK. Besides, who knows if you might meet the man/woman of your dreams at a tailgate, and you are left looking like a fool and feeling rejected because of some easily avoidable chapped lips.

6. Some sunnies!

Grab your favorite, go-to pair of hater blockers and let's go! This one is still a huge struggle for me. Why are sunglasses SO easy to forget just about everywhere you go? Unfortunately, tailgates are not excluded from that list. Put 'em on your head, put 'em in your purse, put 'em wherever you need to in order to remember your dang sunnies! You simply do not deserve to tailgate on a beautiful sunny Saturday morning with no sunglasses.

7. Portable phone charger

How many times have you been out and about enjoying the tailgate of your life and your phone is dead... before noon? What do you do now? How are you going to connect back with friends? Take instagram worthy photos? Call your uber (or lyft) home? HOW ARE YOU GONNA PAY FOR YOUR BIRD SCOOTER?! The solution is easy folks. Grab your portable phone charger and get moving! You'll never have to go bird-less again with your portable charger. One last tip: make sure the portable charger is charged before you leave.

Why would you ever go to another tailgate ever again without any of these essentials? You won't, that's why. I can almost guarantee anyone reading this list right now is throwing out a, "yus girl yus." You've thought of this whole list once before on your own I am sure. However, it is the actual remembrance of this list and the execution that sets us Spartans apart. With proper execution, comes with owning a fanny pack. You absolutely need a fanny pack to load your new game day faves into. The only way around this is a very loving boyfriend with some handy-dandy pockets. One can only hope that anyone who reads this will please take it seriously. Tailgating is no joke, and what you chose to bring out with you is not a joke either. Party like a Sparty with these 7 tailgate essentials.