Shows That Deserve A Proper Goodbye

6 TV Shows That Didn't Get A Proper Farewell

What am I supposed to do once I binge watch the first and only season?

99

One of the most tragic phrases you can ever hear is "series finale." You've been in love with this show for years, you feel like you know the characters personally and can quote almost every episode. Then, without any warning, they end everything one weekend and you're left feeling empty. But, at least you have seasons and seasons to rewatch when times get rough.

Unfortunately, some of the best shows I have watched only lasted me a day or two, with usually less than two seasons before production stopped. Sometimes it's a lack of funds or lack of interest, but it can also be an utter mystery that leaves every fan wondering why.

1. Freaks and Geeks

Taking place in the 1980's, this show gave its audience insight on what it was like to be a teenager in the time of rock and roll and rebellion. It features some of the biggest stars today, such as James Franco, Seth Rogan, and Jason Segel (most popularly known as "Marshall" from How I Met Your Mother). Although the show featured aesthetically grunge outfits and oozed sarcasm in a way that every teenager can relate to, it only lasted for a year before it was canceled due to audience disinterest. Even Seth Rogan agreed that the show was killed off too soon.

2. The Carrie Diaries

For all the Sex in the City lovers out there, this one probably particularly hurt you. In 2013, the show was launched to tell the tale of Carrie Bradshaw and her transition from her boring town in Connecticut (as someone who's from Connecticut, I found this aspect of the show particularly relatable) to the bustling streets of New York City. Not only was it intended to provide some background information about Carrie for all the Sex in the City fanatics out there, but it featured a charming romance between Carrie and Sebastian, played by Austin Butler. Although the show was arguably cheesy, it was the perfect medicine for a love-sick teenage girl who just needed to watch a bad boy fall for the good girl. The show inevitably ended after only two seasons.

3. Girl Meets World

This was the sequel we were all waiting for. Fourteen years after the series finale of Boy Meets World, we were finally granted the gift of this new show. Focusing on Cory and Topanga's child, Riley, the series had a perfect blend of new content while still acknowledging the quirks of Cory's original story. It had a relatively better run than some on this list, ending after three seasons, but it still wasn't given the life that it deserved. After the premiere, audience interest plummeted to the point of no return.

4. Arrested Development

This sitcom debuted on Fox in 2003, featuring a family's struggle with their father, played by Jeffrey Tambor, who is sent to prison. Not only are his sons left to manage his banana stand business, but they're forced to deal with each other. Although the show received numerous Golden Globe nominations, including Best Television Series in 2004, audience disinterest resulted in Fox cutting the series in 2006. Netflix tried to pick it back up in 2013 and produce it independently, but audiences did not seem to respond well to the changes with this new platform.

5. Haters Back Off

With Youtubers started to gain larger media presence as singers and actors, it came as no surprise to many when Colleen Ballinger (more commonly known as Miranda Sings), starred in this Netflix original. Fans of both the Miranda persona and those unacquainted with her videos fell in love with the hilarious series. The show only lasted a year before it abruptly ended in 2017, causing chaos among Ballinger's fanbase. Although she addressed the cancellation in a video, we're all still left unsatisfied and a bit bitter.

6. Love

Instead of the common "good girl loves bad boy" comedy like The Carrie Diaries that we all love (but know too well), this show changes the stakes. The Netflix original series follows a nerdy sweetheart named Gus (played by Paul Rust) as he falls for the rebellious, damaged Mickey (played by Gillian Jacobs from NBC-produced Community). The awkward, yet touching tale revealed the raw nature of young romance in the 21st century and explores the boundaries of relationships. It ran for two years before ending, and although both Rust and Jacobs claimed it was time for a conclusion, fans argue that some questions still remain.

Even though these shows left us too soon, we can still cherish the memories. Perhaps one day they'll be unexpectedly renewed, but, until then, all we can do is binge-watch them in a two-day session.