When All Your 'Friends' Are Toxic, It's Time To Cut Them Off And Get New Friends

A Breakup Letter To 95% Of My 'Friends'

You're toxic, and honestly, I'm sick of having my time leeched away.

234

Friends, or who I used to call friends,

I remember why I became friends with most of you. Becoming your own person means you have to branch out and meet new people. College is such an uncomfortable place when you first get there, even if you despised the place you came from. You don't have that web of support you were once so familiar with. This isn't a bad thing, but when we are young and immature we don't like to be uncomfortable, so we reach and grab at everything we can to make a bubble for ourselves.

Sadly, I have to break up with 95% of the people I've come to know.

To some people, it's not personal at all — I simply don't have enough time for our relationship and I wish you the best with whatever it is that makes you happy. To other people, it's like a screaming red sign right in front of my face — you're toxic, and honestly, I'm sick of having my time leeched away.

I don't believe much in adages because we craft our own realities and no truth is absolute. But there is one I believe in: "you are the summation of the five people you spend the most time with." Looking at myself, I want to be the best possible version of whatever I choose to be that is possible. I'm ready to put my nose to the grindstone and hustle for the next four decades of my life to always put myself in the best possible position, while enjoying every single minute of it because that's what makes me happy.

Attention, people who disrupt my hustle, you're getting a rude awakening. Cutting toxic people from your life doesn't make you a bad person, it means that you are maturing. The people who will get mad because you think they are toxic are likely the people who will throw it back in your face instead of looking at themselves. This is what I'm looking for.

If you're not going to share that same mindset with me, then I kindly have to say I'm not wasting my time with you anymore. With each passing day that I have to deal with a toxic mindset in my environment is another day that my maximum potential is not being reached.

My time and my resources don't deserve to be a wasted investment in someone who won't use it to better themselves.

The amount your life can change when you drop one loser friend and gain one winner friend is tremendous. It's a domino effect of positivity and enlightenment, which is what I search for each and every day. If you're not for me, then you're not worth my time investment anymore. I hate regret more than anything, and one of my regrets will not be my lack of awareness of who my toxic "friends" are (shocker, it's a lot of you).

There comes a day where you draw the line in the sand. Anyone who steps over that line will be subsequently booted from my thoughts and actions. My inner circle is about to become a lot tighter.

Now, it's time to see who wants to be in the 5%.

— Yours truly.