Breaking Your Shackles Of Shame To Live In God's Freedom

Shame is something that more than likely everyone has felt, but it is not something that you have to continue to carry with you. Break those chains to become free.

244

I've recently been studying a book by Christine Caine titled Unashamed and I felt called to write this week's article for those who are struggling with carrying shame.
Whether it be from something that you have done or something that has been done to you, it is common for us to bottle up those feelings and carry that shame with us and it can be difficult to let them go and know how overcome them.

In her book, Caine quotes another author, Brene Brown, who defines shame as, "The intensely painful feeling or experience of believing we are flawed and therefore unworthy of acceptance and belonging."

I don't know about you, but in my 20 years of walking through life, I have definitely felt that before.
I let the world tell me that I was unworthy of love and acceptance. By seeking affection and love in all of the wrong relationships, and being rejected once things got difficult or "better options" presented themselves to the guys that I was pursuing, I was convinced that I wasn't worth very much.

The enemy is pretty good about using shame against us. We even see it in the Bible.

Adam and Eve are ashamed that they ate the fruit and were naked (Genesis 3:8-10).

Peter was ashamed that he denied Jesus three times (John 18:15-27).

The woman caught in adultery felt ashamed (John 8:1-11).

He uses shame to whisper lies to us about how we are not good enough, pretty enough, worthy enough, and the list goes on and on.

So whether your story is similar to mine, or you have far worse reasons for feeling ashamed, the fact is that you're not alone in those feelings and you don't have to feel that way anymore.

One thing that we can use against the enemy and his lies is God's Word. The Bible tells us to put on the full armor of God (Ephesians 6:10-18) and we know that God's Word is the truth, and the truth will set us free.

Romans 8:1: “There is now no condemnation for those who are in Christ Jesus”

Psalm 34:4-5: "I sought the Lord, and he answered me and delivered me from all my fears. Those who look to him are radiant, and their faces shall never be ashamed."

Genesis 1:27: "So God created human beings in his own image. In the image of God he created them; male and female he created them."

With these scriptures and many others to look to, you know that the truth is that God made you with a unique and special purpose in mind. You know that God does not make mistakes. You are fearfully and wonderfully made and that He knew you before you were even formed in your mother's womb. There's no replacing you! Know how special you are!
Where the enemy's nature is to steal, kill, and destroy, God's nature is to redeem, restore, and strengthen.

So turn over those feelings of shame, guilt, and unworthiness over to the Lord. There is power in the name of Jesus, so once you surrender it all to Him, you will see Him begin to break those shackles of shame that you have been carrying with you for so long.
Don't let the enemy fool you with his lies, but instead lean on the truth of God's Word. Know who you are and whose you are!