how to break up

5 Ways To Break Up With Someone 'The Right Way'

Suggestive statements you can use that may make a break-up end more smoothly and clearly.

1632

Many people form relationships with others that sometimes do not last.

A lot of people actually go through multiple romantic relationships in a lifetime, which suggests that a weighty majority have experienced at least one breakup in their lives. Therefore, a weighty majority will likely experience at least another breakup.

So, people often ask, what is the best way to break up with someone? How can I minimize hurt feelings? Is there a way to truly have an amicable breakup?

Well, here are five ways you can break-up with someone the right way:

"I do not feel our relationship is healthy"

This breakup statement is more appropriate for those who are involved in a toxic relationship: relationships that involve excessive meaningless arguments, retaliatory behaviors, and/or emotional abuse are relationships that no one should be a part of. Stating that the relationship is not healthy would likely not be a surprise to your significant other, therefore the two of you essentially understand what is motivating this dissolution, and it may make parting ways smoother.

"I don't think I can trust you"

This breakup statement is suited for those who are involved in relationships with secrets, dishonesty, and/or infidelity. It is important to note that a relationship can carry on after the aforementioned events, but if you are unable to see past those incidences and feel that they will inevitable reoccur, then it may be ideal to not continue being in a relationship with this person. Your significant other, again, will understand the motivation, but it is important to make clear that trust is important, and that it is better for everyone to be in a trusting relationship.

"I'm not giving you my best"

This breakup statement reflects those who are not focused on the relationship: people who are dedicating more of their time to their career, education, family, or, for personal reasons, may need to distance themselves so they do not inflict neglect on their significant other. Everyone has priorities, but when your relationship is no longer at the top, you may need to take care of yourself before reengaging with someone. Your significant other has likely felt the distance, and may be more understanding and accepting of ceasing the relationship.

"I don't feel respected"

This breakup statement applies to those who feel devalued in their relationship. Often, you may feel disrespected, unappreciated, and "less than," and no one should feel that way with someone you are intimately and inter-personally connected to. Your significant other may not understand right away, but reasonably and carefully explain to them your position on certain matters. Some people can work through this together, but others who experience this to a high degree may want to start anew.

"I'm just not ready" 

This breakup statement may work for those in a relationship but are not ready to take things to another level. This is mostly for people who are not ready to be seriously dating or get married. Often, you may still be finding yourself and figuring out what you want in life. Your significant other may not understand this right away, but ultimately the two of you need to communicate if you want to progress the relationship together.

There may be more ways to effectively break-up with someone, but every break-up statement requires contemplation and consideration.