break up with your fake friend
Friendships

Break Up With Your Fake Friend

You gotta go your own way.

390
Break Up With Your Fake Friend

Hopefully not everyone will have to do this within their life, but if it's necessary to help yourself, it's necessary to leave them behind. I'm talking about one of your best friends of course. In no way do I see this as selfish as I once did; I needed to start thinking for me and that is exactly why I took action. Removing someone you thought loved and supported you, but instead was manipulative and condescending, is an unbelievable weight lifted off your shoulders.

As I have experienced this and also overcome this I'm here to explain to you the red flags I ignored. This is different for almost everyone, however, some of these traits reoccur throughout every fake best friend.

They'll be fake from the start

They'll first come off as kind and supportive, which is how you will remember them, but they will slowly turn into a manipulator. You may or may not realize their change in behavior, but sure enough it will happen.

They'll try to change you

Just like a bad boyfriend, they will make you question everything unique about yourself. They will make you into a prototype of what they like and expect in a friend.

They will try to control you

Similar to trying to change you, they will take up all of your time and leave you to feel as though they are more important than anything else, regardless of how big of a priority it is.

They will share your secrets

This is an easy one to determine. If you trust them, which you probably would if they were your best friend, you would most likely share most situations that go on in your life. They will expose them, no matter how secret they are supposed to be.

They will make you believe all your other friends are awful

You'll go out and meet new people and really click with them. They will come make sure you know they are the better friend and even make sure to let you know repeatedly that "They are a great friend."

They will blame you for everything

If something arises in your friend group and your "best friend" blames you every time, they are not the friend for you.

They are hypocritical

If you do something that probably wasn't the best decision, but they do it all the time, it shouldn't be ok, but they shouldn't bash you for it if they do it too.

They'll pick anyone and everyone over you

Your old news they'd rather hang out and do anything else than hang out with you.

They will continue to knock you down

Instead of building you up, they will make you feel hopeless and unworthy. Stand strong and leave the situation.