15 Best Post-Breakup Songs

15 Songs You Must Listen To If You Need To Cry It Out Post-Breakup

Belt it out.

677

I'm always first to admit that I'm a hopeless romantic. I'm not ashamed that I fall hard and I feel a lot. I've been through a handful of breakups and regardless of how hard it was on me, I always turned to music. If you scroll through my Spotify, you'll see MULTIPLE playlists called "sad boy hours part (insert number)."

Here are 15 of the top songs that helped me through rough breakups:

1. "Consequences" by Camilla Cabello

"Loving you was dumb, dark and cheap. Loving you will still take shots at me. Found loving you was sunshine, but then it poured, and I lost so much more than my senses"

This is a song about a young couple in love and how it eventually took a downhill. It's an emotional ballad that makes you feel that final split. It's a heartbreaking song for sure.

2. "The Night We Met" by Lord Huron

"I don't know what I'm supposed to do, haunted by the ghost of you."

This song really hits me hard because it was one that I frequently listened to after a breakup I didn't see coming in the summer of 2018. It's about how a relationship slowly but surely fell apart, and Lord Huron sings about how he's left with memories of his lost lover.

3. "Ocean Eyes" by Billie Eilish

He left her lonely with a diamond mind and those ocean eyes

Ever been in love with someone with gorgeous, ocean blue eyes? Yeah, I have once. Again, I listened to this one A TON after the summer of 2018 breakup I went through. To this day, this song takes me back to how hurt my heart was during that time, so I don't actually listen to this anymore.

4. "Molly" by Lil Dicky ft. Brendon Urie

"You can find another me tomorrow and that's the hardest pill to swallow, babe"

The music in this one plus Brendon Urie's voice instantly makes you feel something, and usually it's heartbreaking. This is one to listen to when you're overthinking about your ex moving on and how much that'll hurt. But you know what? You'll find someone new too so don't give up.

5. "Last Kiss" by Taylor Swift

"But now I'll go sit on the floor wearing your clothes. All that I know is I don't know how to be something you miss"

The song title gives away what this song is about, and whether you're a Taylor Swift fan or not, this one hits HARD. Thinking about the last kiss you had with your now ex? Not knowing that kiss was your last kiss is exactly what Taylor hits in this song with her lyrics.

6. "Sorry" by Halsey

"So I'm sorry to my unknown lover. Sorry that I can't believe that anybody ever really starts to fall in love with me"

This one hits different. This song is heartbreaking because the heartbreak Halsey had gone through makes her think she isn't lovable. She sings to her future lover for being difficult to love and doubting her worthiness of love. Please know that no matter how many heartbreaks you go through and how unlovable you feel, you are lovable and you will find your person. I did.

7. "Babe" by Sugarland ft. Taylor Swift

"Taking down the pictures and the plans we made, yeah. And it's strange how your face doesn't look so innocent. Your secret has its consequence and that's on you, babe"

Cheated on? You're not alone. This song is about breaking up with a cheater and how heartbreaking it is, BUT it was the best choice you could've made. You deserve so much better.

8. "Mad at You" by Noah Cyrus ft. Gallant

"It's gonna be hard as hell, and baby, you know me well. No matter what you do, I can never be mad at you"

This is one you'll want to belt. Knowing that a breakup is coming because feelings aren't reciprocated anymore is the worst, but how can you be mad at someone you're madly in love with? Noah hits hard on that in this song.

9. "Better Man" by Little Big Town

"And it's always on your terms, I'm hanging on every careless word hoping it might turn sweet again...like it was in the beginning"

Getting out of a toxic relationship and wishing they were a better person? Then this song is for you. Your ex isn't going to change, so move on and find someone that'll treat you the right way. You deserve nothing less.

10. "You Are the Reason" by Calum Scott

"And I'd climb every mountain and swim every ocean. Just to be with you"

You should definitely listen to this song if you're missing someone you used to be with. It's an emotional, yet relatable song for the post-breakup blues.

11. "Stuck" by Imagine Dragons

"Why did you leave? Why did you go leaving me lonely? Didn't you know you were the home, you were the only? Where did you go? Where did you go? Where did you go? Come back to me..."

Stuck on someone? Want them back even though you know they're long gone? Listen to this song.

12. "Happier" by Marshmello ft. Bastille

"Every argument, every word we can't take back, 'cause with the all that has happened, I think that we both know the way that this story ends"

This is a great breakup song whether you're the dumper or the one being dumped. If your relationship grew to be toxic or just full of problems and you knew it was nearing the end, that's basically what this song is about. It's about wishing only the best and happiness for the other person in the relationship, but also the heartbreak that still comes along with it. Oh, and the music video? Makes me cry every time.

13. "Want You Back" by 5 Seconds of Summer

"I know you know I will never get over you, no matter where I go, I'm always gonna want you back"

Classic song to listen to for the one that got away...we all have one of those exes. Want them back? Never going to stop loving them? This song is for you.

14. "changes" by XXXTENTACION

" I don't understand this. You're changing, I can't stand it"

One of the most heartbreaking things is seeing the person you love change into someone that you're not sure you can love anymore. This is a good song for you to cope with that. It's super short, and definitely repetitive, but the vocals and music add the feels to it.

15. "Death by a Thousand Cuts" by Taylor Swift

"My time, my wine, my spirit, my trust. Tryna find a part of me you didn't take up. Gave you so much, but it wasn't enough"

This song is actually my favorite song by Taylor, and it came out well after my time with breakups were over. Although, I love it because of the lyrics and how I could've related to them back in the day. End your crying session with this one, it'll help.

Regardless of how you feel after a breakup, just know that everything happens for a reason. I've had my fair share of cheaters, heartbreaks, and the one that got away. I found my person, and you will too. I promise.

Follow Swoon on Instagram.