Why You Should Take A Brazilian Jiu Jitsu Class

Self-defense is only the beginning.

106
Darkwolf MMA

A few weeks ago I finally mustered up the courage to take my first Brazilian Jiu Jitsu class. My first experience in any martial arts was in a Wednesday “Women’s Only” jiu jitsu class at Darkwolf MMA in Orange City, Florida. I’d been talking to Melissa, the female instructor, for literally six months before I actually went. I knew I wanted my first time to be during the women’s only night so the first Wednesday after finals I woke up and decided that was the day I would finally go.

However, by the early afternoon I was questioning myself and making up excuses not to go. Would I be able to do anything? Would the other girls (all black belt ninja assassins in my imagination) make fun of me for being a newbie? And as a self-conscience chick with a little extra padding, was my body going to get in the way? My self-consciousness told me maybe I should wait a month or so to get into better shape before I went (surrreee), but I was really just trying to give myself an excuse to stay in my safe zone. So, right then and there, I messaged Melissa on Facebook and told her I’d be there. There was no going back.

That evening I got into my car and made the drive over to the gym. That was the longest, most doubt-filled ride I can remember. In fact, my level of nervousness was pretty off-character for me. I couldn’t remember the last time I felt so anxious and unsure. To be honest, I’m usually a pretty outgoing person, but the past couple of years have changed me.

I’ve packed on 70 pounds due to a thyroid disease that culminated in the removal of my thyroid in December. Those 70 pounds have acted like steel bars between me and the outside world. I used to interact with the world with a carefree attitude, but now every foray into public puts my mind into overdrive thinking about all the things wrong with my body and what people must be thinking about me. It’s exhausting even going into Publix when every sound of laughter is assumed to be about yourself. It’s hard not to just hide, but I was sick of it.

From the moment I walked into the gym, I was met with warmth and acceptance. Darkwolf MMA is family owned and operated which makes the atmosphere the opposite of intimidating. And, to my relief, most of the girls there were complete newbies just like me. Everyone was welcoming, and my first class was a blast. Right off the bat we learned some submissions (which I happily used on my boyfriend that night... sorry Shaun!), and I decided to stay for the co-ed class after.

I can honestly say that I’ve found something I am in love with, and if I would have allowed myself to stand in my own way that Wednesday, I’d really be missing out on something awesome. So for anyone out there that’s ever been curious about trying a martial arts class, learning some self-defense, or changing up your fitness routine, here’s why you should get your butt into a BJJ class immediately.

1. Be a Verb, Not a Noun

There is a massive problem in our culture with how women’s bodies are viewed, and I’m not going to waste time going over all of the ways the world sucks in that respect. What I want to focus on is what Brazilian Jiu Jitsu can do to change it. In BJJ, every body type has advantages associated with it. Those thunder thighs you hate are now steel traps perfect for neutralizing your opponent just long enough for you to set up a submission. Those long, skinny arms you see as gangly are actually awesome for locking in some devastating chokes.

Society is all about viewing women’s bodies as static objects that are valued utmost for their conventional attractiveness, but BJJ teaches you to view your body as an active tool to be honed and used for a purpose. Why be static when you can be fluid? Why be a noun when you can be verb?

2. Self-Defense

The fundamental idea behind BJJ is giving the smaller, weaker person tools to even the playing field against a bigger, stronger person. Know what else this applies to? Women being attacked by men. I once left the Knight Library in Orlando to be assaulted by 2 bigger, stronger men. Luckily, they were more worried about fighting the guys in my group, but what if they weren’t? Women everywhere are assaulted every day (whether in their own homes or at the hands of strangers).

And I’ll be honest, even though this article has been more geared towards women, every single person out there needs to know some basics on how to defend themselves because you honestly just never know. BJJ teaches techniques that will allow you to overcome weight and strength disadvantages and keep a level head during an attack. Don’t build your ark after the flood (corny quote from '10 Cloverfield Lane,' but it totally works here, right?).

3. All Fitness Levels Can Participate

This was a big worry of mine but literally any fitness level can participate... and if you are in a good gym (like Darkwolf), you won’t even think about it once you’re there. A good gym will make you feel welcome, encourage you to push your limits, and completely support you when you need to take a break. There’s no shame in getting in shape, and there is no way to get in shape faster than to do some rolling (trust me!).

4. Couples Welcome

My boyfriend is a black belt in Karate, and he’s one that introduced me to the UFC (Go Cyborg!) so this was the perfect activity to do together. While we don’t always train with each other, it certainly is fun to wrestle each other with our new moves. One thing you’ll learn in BJJ is how to get comfortable with new people very quickly. My first night in class had me butt to face with a girl I barely met 20 minutes before (shout out to you, Haven), but when you learn moves with your partner, you can stop wondering if you are developing a mean case of B.O. and just have fun! Also, a couple that endorphins together, stays together!

5. Fun, duh!

One thing that inevitably comes with learning rolls, falls, and tumbles that are completely unnatural to most people is laughing…mostly at yourself…and a lot of it. BJJ teaches you to get outside of your comfort zone and just go for it. The day we were learning tumbles I literally belly flopped onto the mat…in front of everyone. What else can you do but laugh? But once you figure out that everyone there is in the same boat (or was at some time), you just start having a blast. Learning to put yourself out there and go for it is an attitude that can translate and benefit you in other parts of your life too.

Bonus: Feel like a Total Badass!

There’s really nothing that beats the sense of accomplishment from getting your first submission or gaining full mount on your boyfriend in a full-fledged roll (true story). It’s not that you want to be attacked, but you’ll have fun fantasizing about kicking ass and taking names (Wink, wink Marion)

I hope I’ve convinced you to get out there and try a BJJ class, and if you are in my area, come out to Darkwolf MMA (Orange City, FL) and take a class with Dave, Melissa, and Christian (link below). Happy rolling everyone!

Darkwolf MMA Facebook

Darkwolf MMA website