The Pros of Dating a Gamer
Boyfriends

My Boyfriend Is A Gamer, So Here Are 13 Reasons I'm OK With That

So he plays video games a lot. There are worse things he could be doing.

4664
Mikala Mays

I have dated all types of guys: Jocks, nerds, bad boys, preps. But the best relationship I've ever had is the one I'm in right now, and that's with a gamer. He doesn't have the cocky attitude of a jock, the annoying attitude of a prep, or the questionable attitude of a bad boy. He just sits there and plays his video games, and I love it. Why, you ask? Let me tell ya.

He gets SO excited when he talks about a new game.

There is nothing better in this world than having someone talk about something they are passionate about. With my boyfriend, that's video games. The way his face literally sparkles when he starts talking about a new game or when he has finally beat a boss that has been giving him issues—nothing can beat it. He will seriously talk about a game for HOURS and not say the same thing twice, all while having the biggest smile on his face. It's legit the cutest thing ever.

He always tries to include me in his video game talk.

I never have to worry about him ignoring me while he's playing a game. He will walk me through what he does step by step, even though he lost me on step two (and he's now on step 18). And when I don't understand something, he'll explain it to me, even if that takes another 20 minutes. He is always keeping me up to date with his gaming lingo and nothing beats when someone wants the person they love to know what's going on.

I don't have to worry about him cheating.

Honestly, there have been times I haven't heard from my boyfriend for HOURS and I don't even worry. Because I know he is sitting in his cute little gaming chair, engulfed in his game. And nothing beats him frantically texting me after hour six saying "I love you," "I miss you," "I'm so sorry," etc. because I know it is all true and he wasn't just ignoring me. He was probably just about to beat a new level or kill some boss. And I am so proud.

It is a great way for us to bond.

I have always played video games, but I would never consider myself a gamer. I played an occasional PS2 game (yes, that was a few years ago), and I was obsessed with my 2DS (also ancient technology), but I wasn't spending hours grinding or all my money on a new game. But dating a gamer has brought back that love I used to have for video games. Now, every time I go to his house, we play something together. Lately, it's been him teaching me how to be kick butt at Monster Hunter World. It's also a great way for us to get out our anger by killing monsters and taking over towns.

It makes getting holiday gifts easy.

Yes, video games are normally expensive—especially newer games—but that's the least of my worries. I know that if I get anything related to a game he likes (or, in my boyfriend's case, anything animé), he will love it. There isn't the worry of "Will he like this shirt?" or "Is a belt really a good gift idea?". My biggest worry is "Should I pick Assassin's Creed or Dragon Ball Z this time?" and it makes life so much easier.

He loves getting my opinion, even when I have no clue what he's talking about.

In regard to a majority of the games my boyfriend plays, I have either 1. never heard of them, 2. they are newer games, or 3. they are games from before both our times. But even with that being the case, he always asks what I think he should do. For example, about 20 minutes ago while on the phone, he asked if I thought he should invest in archers or blacksmiths for a game I know nothing about. AND HE LISTENED TO WHAT I HAD TO SAY. It may have lead to him losing a good number of his people and wasting his money, but he still did it and didn't question why. I am also pretty sure my (nonexistent) gaming skills have lead him to asking me about real-life issues and my opinions, which has made for a very open and understanding relationship.

Playing video games together prevents us from sleeping all the time.

I am a firm believer in nap dates. In fact, they are my favorite kind of date. But enough is enough at times, and playing games keeps us from doing that. In fact, there was one night that we didn't go to bed until almost 3 A.M. playing games. Sleep was for the weak that night. It also keeps us out of trouble, in general. It keeps us both from arguing with our siblings, because that's what siblings do best.

It has helped me get back in touch with my gamer side.

Like I said, I was never a huge gamer before, but I had my fair share of games I enjoyed. For example, while writing this article, I've been taking breaks to play Pokémon Gold (an oldie but a goodie, for sure). Dating a gamer has made me realize how much I missed getting lost in a game for hours and forgetting about all the stress of my life.

A gamer never gives up... Ever.

I don't know if it's because gamers hate to lose or never want to stop until they succeed, but that travels right into relationships. No matter how crazy a fight may be or how bad it gets, gamers will literally never give up on fixing the problem. They never want an error to pop up, so they will do whatever it takes to keep the relationship going well. It's a nice change from relationships where one fight leads to a breakup.

Gamers are AMAZING multi-taskers.

The other day, I'm pretty sure that my boyfriend was making food while talking to me on the phone AND playing a game, without missing a beat. I have no clue how it even happened. And what's even crazier is that gamers can have a conversation with you, six people online, and their family, and they'll know exactly what's going on. It's literally like a magic trick.

They are some of the funniest people you'll ever meet.

Every gamer I have ever met has had an amazing sense of humor. They are always so quick to come back with a comment—almost like they can read your mind. It's like you don't know what they will say next, and that's the best part of the whole thing. They always keep you on your toes with their (mostly corny) jokes.

Gamers pay attention to EVERYTHING.

Of course, when you're playing a game, you want to make sure you notice all the tiny details that a normal person wouldn't, but gamers do that in real life, too. I make the slightest sigh (one that I don't even notice), and my boyfriend is right there asking what's wrong and what he can do to fix it. I do my makeup the SLIGHTEST bit different, and guess who notices first. That's right, the gamer.

Dating a gamer means you get the cutest little gifts.

I love penguins. They are my favorite animal. I also love Batman. So what does my boyfriend do? He buys me a huge penguin stuffed animal and puts a Batman t-shirt on it. Like, who thinks of something that freaking cute? A gamer boyfriend, that's who. I had honestly never gotten so many cute, little, thoughtful things in my life until I started dating my gamer. By no means are gifts the way to my heart (nor should they be anyone's), but it's nice to know that you're being thought of at random times.

In my career of boyfriends, dating a gamer is the best decision I've made. It's something I would never change about him because his kid-at-heart, video-game-loving self is what made me fall head over heels for him.

(P.S. I did 13 reasons because that's his favorite number. And, well, he's my favorite person.)