How did Bowl Season Affect The Top NFL Draft Prospects?

Analyzing bowl performances of the top draft prospect on every position group.

16
www.si.com

For football fans, the last week of December and the first few days of January only mean one thing: Bowl Season—a period of time when the best college football players are featured on a national stage for everyone to see, NFL scouts included. And even if all 32 NFL teams have already graded draft-eligible players, bowl games can make or break the draft process for some.

Here is the analysis of the top prospect at every position and whether or not their performance at their respective bowl game will affect their draft stock.

Clemson Quarterback, Deshaun Watson (Clemson vs Ohio State):
After a slow start to the season, Watson led Clemson to a 13-1 as he gained momentum and showed some flashes of being a serious dual-threat menace to opposing defenses. The stat-line for this season so far says it all, with career highs in touchdowns (38), and total passing yards (4173). Despite these stats, as a pure passer, Watson needs more consistency in his touch and anticipation with his throws, without mentioning the concerns about his ability to thrive in a pro-style offense. He is viewed as the top prospect because of his ability to keep defenses alert through his play-making ability in designed runs.

This bowl game was an allegory for Watson’s season, as inconsistency plagued his night. Running the football, Watson showed patience, vision and resourcefulness using his physical talents. He had two touchdowns on the ground, the second one being particularly impressive because of his cutback ability. However, as a passer, the night got off to a rough start as he threw an interception on his first offensive series. On this play, WR Mike Williams slipped and was no match for CB Gareon Conley, who had already undercut the route and was ready to catch Watson’s pass. The second interception thrown came on a deep ball where Watson led S Malik Hooker with his eyes allowing him to make an incredible play coming away with the football. Watson’s only passing touchdown came on a wheel route pass to RB CJ Fuller. A pretty throw as he rolled out of the pocket finding a one-on-one matchup with the running back as the secondary assigned extra coverage on Williams.

Verdict: Watson’s draft stock may be hugely dependent on his performance during the National Championship, but if judged by this game alone, Watson is not quite a lock to be a first-round pick yet. Click here to watch a video of Watson's highlights against Ohio State.

Florida State Running Back, Dalvin Cook (Florida State vs Michigan):

Dalvin Cook has been a lock for a first round pick for the last two seasons, however, some may look at Cook’s last season with Florida State as a disappointment due to the team’s overall underachieving year. Despite being snubbed from Heisman Trophy consideration, this season was stellar on a personal level for the South Florida native. He rushed for a career-high 267 yards in a game at USF, had a 101 receiving yards performance against Ole Miss, and enjoyed a stretch of nine 100+yard rushing games during the last ten games of the season. Cook is also seen as a multipurpose back, showing great receiving ability during screen plays, and as a security blanket for the quarterback.

This game was a tough matchup on paper, given that the Michigan defense was ranked 15th in the country against the run. However, Cook had a very impressive performance, with 145 yards rushing and 62 receiving, amounting to 207 yards from scrimmage. The Seminoles’ star player also flashed his big play ability with a monstrous 71-yard run from 3rd down and 22 at the Florida State 13th yard line. Not only was this a burner, but it also showed the confidence a legendary coach like Jimbo Fisher has on a player like Cook. Similarly, when Florida State was down late in the 4th quarter, Fisher decided to call a screen play that Cook executed to perfection for a 21 yard gain, preceding the decisive scoring play for the Seminoles.

Verdict: With other prospects at the position like LSU’s Leonard Fournette being touted as the next generational talent, Cook’s performance was a huge draft stock boost due to a dominating showcase of versatility, clutchness, and physicality. Teams selecting players within the first 10 picks should consider Cook over any other running back because of his ability to adapt to any football situation. Click here to watch a video of Cook's highlights against Michigan

Western Michigan Wide Receiver, Corey Davis (Western Michigan vs Wisconsin):

A small school phenom, Davis has benefited from staying for his senior season at Western Michigan. This first round draft prospect is the only receiver in the history of the FBS to finish with numbers over 300 catches, 50 touchdowns and 5000 receiving yards. He will also be the only other receiver to be drafted out of the Mid-American Conference in the first round, the other one being Randy Moss.

The small school factor was always going to be an obstacle for Davis in terms of getting drafted in the first round. However, Davis not only has the numbers but also has the metrics to go along. Standing at 6' 2", 205 lbs, he is only rivaled by the other first round prospect, Clemson’s Mike Williams. However, Davis has the edge in speed and route running ability. Davis’ route running is freakish, but perhaps one of his best qualities is his undoubted effort shown on every play. During this bowl game, QB Zach Terrell was under duress on a majority of the snaps, but this didn’t stop Davis from contributing to his team, Davis had a couple blocks, and a spectacular effort on his only touchdown of the game. In this 4th down play, Terrell’s pocket collapsed and he threw a pass up for grabs to the end zone where Davis caught the ball while on double coverage. This TD pass tied the maximum number of scores for a QB-WR tandem with 51.

Verdict: Despite losing this game, an undefeated regular season and a career with monster numbers fueled by his commitment to football will elevate Davis to a top 15 pick status. Click here to watch a video of Davis' highlights against Wisconsin

Alabama Tight End, O.J. Howard (Alabama vs Washington):

Despite playing in a game with limited offensive opportunities, Howard led Alabama in targets, receptions and receiving yards with four for 44 yards. The Alabama standout has always struggled having signature performances, but his physical presence (6' 6", 251 lbs.) and collegiate experience demand attention and additional game planning from opposing defenses. The Crimson Tide offense requires Howard to line up at different positions, making Howard also the best vertical threat in college football at the tight end position, aside from helping develop skill as a run blocker. In addition to his talent, the first round seems to be clear of other tight ends with the injury sustained by Michigan’s Jake Butt.

Verdict: While this game didn’t do much to affect Howard’s draft stock, he still has the opportunity to have an even more surprising performance against Clemson in the National Championship game, solidifying his case as an undisputed first round draft choice. Howard is currently expected to be picked anywhere within the first two rounds. Click here to watch a video of Howard's highlights against Washington

Alabama Offensive Tackle, Cam Robinson (Alabama vs Washington):

Athletic and versatile offensive linemen are in high demand these days in the NFL, case in point, last year’s top overall player in most draft boards was a tackle who can line up at guard, Laremy Tunsil. While Robinson doesn’t seem to have as high a ceiling as Tunsil, he is an exceptional run blocker worthy of a first round draft choice. His pass blocking abilities aren’t as evident due to the Alabama offense being a little limited under Freshman QB Jalen Hurns.
As for this game, Washington’s defensive strength is their secondary, and Alabama’s game plan was mainly focused on running the football, where Robinson opened lanes for RB Bo Scarbrough all night long. The left tackle for the Crimson Tide had a great block in Scarbrough’s 18-yard touchdown run where the running back bulldozed his way to the end zone. Robinson also gave Hurns time to spare while in the pocket and even when the plays broke down.

Verdict: Cam Robinson looked ready for the pro game, and totally deserving of a first round selection. With a lot of teams needing an offensive lineman that can be a pillar of their offense, Robinson’s draft stock only solidified during this game. Click here to watch a video of Robinson's highlights against Washington.

Ohio State Interior Offensive Lineman, Pat Elflein (Ohio State vs Clemson):

Elflein is the definition of versatility when it comes to offensive line play. After lining up at guard the prior season, 2016 saw Elflein become an even better player at center. Strength is the name of the game here, Elflein showed his ability to maul down defensive tackles and pass rushers during Ohio State’s third consecutive playoff-eligible season. His effort often resulted in clean pockets for the Buckeyes’ underwhelming QB, J.T. Barrett. However, in this bowl game, Ohio State was exposed as a pretender, more specifically their offense. This offensive line looked porous for most of the game, allowing three sacks. However, at times they also gave Barrett a chance to make plays and the QB did not deliver.

Verdict: This line as a whole was exposed against the Tigers, perhaps reducing Elflein’s stock as a true undisputed first rounder. Despite this, the talent here is undeniable, and OSU’s center drops to the second round, he will be an incredible value pick and a solid starter for years to come. Click here to watch a video of Elflein against Clemson

Alabama Defensive Lineman, Jonathan Allen (Alabama vs Washington):

Allen’s ability to adapt to a 3-4 or 4-3 defense make him a surefire top 15 pick for teams who are looking for an athletic run stuffer, that also has a knack for making plays in the opponent’s backfield. Moreover, Allen also had 9.5 sacks this year, adding another dimension to his game as a disruptive force at the line of scrimmage.
While it wasn’t his most impressive performance, Allen had his way in this game, combining for six total tackles, two tackles for a loss, a sack, and a fumble recovery. If teams are debating whether to take Allen or Texas A&M’s Myles Garrett, the Alabama product could get the edge here because of the offensive lines he faced during the year, and his ability to line up all along the line of scrimmage; whereas Garrett is a better edge rusher, but Allen’s disruptive explosiveness as a defensive tackle shows better scheme versatility.

Verdict: The stock is going up for this defensive lineman, and can only get higher if he has a standout game against Clemson in the Championship game. Click here to watch a video of Allen's highlights against Washington

Alabama Linebacker, Reuben Foster (Alabama vs Washington):

Foster’s story of hustle and sacrifice is truly motivating. Starting out as an Auburn commit, to recommitting to Alabama on national signing day and playing special teams as true freshman competing with former Crimson Tide’s MLB Reggie Ragland to fill the void left by C.J. Mosley at the same position. After Ragland’s departure, Foster became a star in this fierce and stingy Alabama defense, showcasing an aggressive and physical style of play. Some of the main concerns teams might have when considering Foster as a draft prospect are his durability due to the intense style of playing and tackling, and his lack of turnover production when in coverage-- having only two passes defended this season.

In this game, Foster was the leading tackler for this Crimson Tide defense with nine total tackles and QB hurry that caused Washington QB Jake Browning to throw a pick six to LB Ryan Anderson.

Verdict: Foster is in the discussion for being a top 5 pick in this NFL Draft, and this game definitely solidified his role as the leader of the best defense in college football.Click here to watch a video of Foster's highlights against Washington

Florida Defensive Back, Quincy Wilson (Florida vs Iowa):

Quincy Wilson is the most physical and football savvy prospect at the cornerback position out of this draft. His ability to play press coverage is impressive, he utilizes his length and aggressiveness to incredible success, as well as his speed to mirror a receiver’s motion in bump and run situations. Perhaps some of Wilson’s most impressive traits are his tackling and big-hit ability. Wilson knows how to use the sideline when in run defense, and has great instincts at the point of the catch to break down passes or deliver heavy strikes coming off the corner blitz.

This bowl game is a little misleading, and to a certain extent irrelevant for the Fort Lauderdale native, due to the fact that the Iowa offense decided to focus on the ground game extensively without throwing his way. He finished the game with only two individual tackles, but the secondary kept Iowa under 60 yards of passing offense effectively contributing to the 30-3 blowout.

Verdict: Corner-needy teams should be enamored with Wilson, as his technique, football IQ, and ball skills are rare in the college game. He should be an early draft selection in the first round. Click here to see Wilson's final box score.